Inhibitive Subs on other pages...

Hey all...

I wanted to resurrect this thread...it seems to have stalled in 2015!!!
forums.highend.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/77882/

I had a guest LD that was utterly flabbergasted that they couldn't load up a page of inhibitive subs for overall intensities on a different page.

We were doing a broadcast and he wanted to control front light and audience light levels without eating up all the faders and have it on a background page and switch with a macro to make adjustments.

Has there been any news/update on this? I'm in the same boat as I cannot understand the logic of not allowing inhibitive subs on a background page...especially on a console with only 10 faders... and how it's fallen off the radar 2 years later.

• I can see the danger for the inexperienced user, having an inhibit on an unknown page stopping the ability to turn a fixture on in the programmer - or perhaps even an experienced user inheriting someone else's show.

I'd love to see this implemented as an option next to the Change Page options to include/exclude Groups. I think the default should be to exclude groups, to avoid one of those "it's always been like this" shocks, but it would make an awful lot of people happy (myself included) if we at least had this option to turn on.
  • But that's also really no different than having an HTP on another page...doing PIG+RELEASE and not being able to figure out why a light won't go out. It all comes down to knowing what you have running and how to find it. If I have an HTP fader up on a different page, then I have to go through every page to find it since it doesn't release with PIG-RELEASE.

Maybe showing in the output window using a different color when something is being inhibited by a Group Master. I like the option to be able to add this to "preferences" in the Change Page information. I would just REALLY like to see something done about it. With 10 faders and doing broadcast a lot more now, I absolutely NEED this function. In my personal opinion, that is the whole purpose of flying faders. To be able to set levels of things and put them in the background and jump to them as I need them.
  • This is a pretty hot topic, and subjective to each person.
    most other consoles do sub masters the "normal" way. You stick them on a page out of the way, (where they don't take up valuable fader space), set them and forget them. this is the preferred behaviour most people i know would expect, including myself and honestly it doesn't seem to stump people on the other desks that work this way.. so I'm actually inclined to disagree with you on this colin (for once haha) because if a submitter is down, this is clearly displayed in the desks output/fixture windows.
    I really think we should do this. Not only because i want the feature, but because reading a lot of the opinions of regular and advanced users of hog, there seems to be a resounding yes comping from almost everyone on the way this should work.
  • I don't disagree. I want it too. I'm just conscious that however many people scream and shout about this, there will probably be just as many getting along perfectly happily and quietly and then will scream and shout if the behaviour suddenly changes one day.

The suggestion for better feedback when a fixture is being inhibited would be a good way forwards with this. Currently we have absolutely no indication in the Output window when a fixture's intensity is being inhibited, but we CAN very clearly see where intensity is coming from with a HTP List running in the background.
  • I'm on this bandwagon too. I can't use a hog on broadcast gigs for this reason. Or on screen faders on virtual wings. (hint hint()