Full Boar Full Install stuck on 'Detect and mount CD-ROM'

Hi,
I try to do a Full Install on a Full Boar 4 console, but everytime the installation stops with on screen 'Detect and mount CD-ROM' and nothing happens anymore. This appears right after i pressed Enter (Hog4 installation. Press Enter to begin).

I tried 7 different usb drives from different brands and capacitys, created with Linux Live USB creator (on different windows machines) as discribed in the full install instructions.
Also tried different software files, different usb ports, with and without usb keyboard connected.
No other devices are connected to the console.

Please let me know if there is anything more i can try.
Thanks.
  • It sounds like you have been thorough.

Were all the USB boot devices created with the same ISO download? Maybe it is bad.

When was it last working? Does it have working software now? I am trying to guess if the hard drive is bad.

You may want to call support if you need more direct assistance.

donald

• Thanks Donald,

I tried different ISO downloads, and different software versions.
    I don't know when i did a full system install for the last time.
    The desk is working now with v3.6.0 but i have to prepare a show that i have to run on a desk with v3.4.0. The venue isn't goint to upgrade their desk for me.
    I can prepare it on HogPC, so it's not a very big deal for now, but eventually the full system system restore should work properly.
  • There is another possible reason. There are two released hardware revisions of Full Boar4. This means that older Hog4 Software will not recognize the new Full Boar 4 Hardware. So it makes sense that newer Full Boar 4's will not downgrade to software that did not support them.

What is the serial number of the Full Boar 4 that won't install 3.4.0 software?

donald
  • The serial number is: 5508412100021 (production date 2012-10-29)
    The bios battery was replaced in 2016.

I tried it once again; downloaded the v3.4.0 ISO again and also v3.6.0. The same problem as described again with both of them.

Is there something I can try? Check some bios settings, or install a new hard drive?

Thanks.
  • I'm stumped, honestly, It could be BIOS as you guessed. www2.highend.com/support/controllers/fullboar.asp is a link to Full Boar support page with BIOS setting pdf on the page near the end. I think this is a good idea to check.

From what you describe, it is failing at at a time when the installation is verifying the platform and getting the disk ready with partitions. If the Fullboar 4 is already running 3.6.0, then it would imply there is nothing wrong with the hardware. So, it comes down to the bootable device not being okay, but you have been through that again and again, so that doesn't seem plausible.

Go ahead and double-check the BIOS settings to be sure.
  • Oh, and the hardware version you have is the original one that supports all software versions.

d
  • The link with bios settings is about the Fullboar 3 console right?
    I can't find any documentation about the Fullboar 4 bios settings. I did choose "Restore Defaults" in the bios as described in the instructions 'FB4 Bios Battery Replacement.' With no result.
  • Sorry about the wrong link, but you sorted that out.

I talked with Nate and the only time we have seen a Detect/Mount CDROM error has been on the HedgeHog. And in that case the reason was due to a compromised connection of the hard drive. What it seems like at this time is that the USB boot is just fine, and it is in a place where the hard drive is being prepared.

If you feel comfortable then open up the Full Boar and inspect both ends of SATA cable for any kind of problem. Disconnect and visually look at it to make sure there isn't any problems; correct any small issues. Check power cable also.

If that fails to rectify, then you can temporarily try another hard drive and see what results you get.

If we can determine the hard drive is failing, then we want to obtain it for diagnosis.

Thanks for your patience,
    donald
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I tried:
    - SATA cable and power cables seems good. To be sure i tried a new SATA cable, other SATA port and other power connector, with no result.
    - In a few days I will have a USB flash drive with full install from a colleague, to exclude that all my usb flash drives are not good.
    - I tried to make a new USB flash drive on a Mac with Unetbootin. The installation sometimes stops at the same screen as with the Linux Live sticks, only the text 'Detect and mount CD-Rom' is missing. Nothing else.
    And sometimes the installation stops with a black screen full of code lines (right after a blue Unetbootin screen).
    - When I use the original HES red USB stick (with the LED in it), the LED is Lit or flashing until the installation stops at the 'Detect and mount CD-ROM' screen. Then the LED is off.

- I can try an other harddrive. Does it have to be an SSD drive (i will have to order one) or can it be a regular one? And in wich format should it be formatted?