Writing cuelists for songs

JayJayJayJay Registered User, Hog Beta
Trying to improve my programming to be quicker.
How you handle presets in songs?

1. create your look on stage
-save as preset (allow refs enabled)with all parameters- naming "verse"
-create cue 1 (verse)

2. create preset (IPCBET) for "break"- allow refs
-write cue 2 "break"

3. create preset (IPCBET) "chorus" - allow refs
-write cue 3 "chorus"

For the 2.nd verse and so on:
-cue 1 thru 3 copy 4 tracking forwards disabled enter

Is this the way to go?

Comments

• JayJayJayJay Registered User, Hog Beta
    Nobody writing lists for songs?

I'm new to cue shows. 99% busking shows.
    While writing lists on scene during rehearsals i find my self struggeling with keeping organised. I'm not quiet sure yet wich way works best for me to keep it organised, tracked clean and effective.
    How's your workflow?
    Are you writing IPCBET presets per look?
    Are you programming while creating instant presets that you record in your cue as well? Do you name your presets? Or do you name them by cue number maybe?
  • Simon LXSimon LX Registered User
    I use my desk for theatre rather than songs, but the basic process of creating the look and recording it should be the same - I'd have palettes for each position, colour and possibly beam look (separately) but having 'assembled' the look in the programmer I don't see the benefit of creating an 'all-parameters' palette containing thee look - I'd just record the cue straight away.
    Could you explain your reasoning behind making the IPCBET palette for each cue, I'm interested! :)
    edited October 2016
    I think writing 'all presets' is a bit more faster. Instead of writing at least 4 presets (IPCB) i would just write 1 and there would be no need to worry about tracking forwards/backwards and state while copying e.g cue 3 at cue 5 (chorus maybe). What u think?
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    It might be faster when you only record one song... But for sure you will have more than one, and you will reuse positions, colours, beam looks etc etc...

When it comes to update for the next venue, you only need to update eg. 10 position palettes and you are done.
    In your style you need to update each of your presets... Makes no sense at all

That makes totally sense. I think my post can be misunderstood. I create 'all presets' most of the time as reference palettes (allow refs). But it's still a bit hard for me to keep track of what comes from where especially with those 'all presets'. I need to practice tracking sheets and cue list programming.
  • bpeterman11bpeterman11 Registered User
    I hope this makes sense... I create my groups, position, color, and beams as pallets. Then I create my "Song" cue list (IPCB Crossfader). In this list, I record my Positions, colors, and beam effects. I also record 4-5 effects (circles, can-can, fades, and strobes) in separate cue list (IPCB for movement effects, and I fader for intensity effects). I usually have at least 7 different timing options in this list. I also set my back button set not to fire the cue, so that I can navigate my list. Hope this helps
    Yeah, but when you do your "all preset" with allow refs from existing presets then you just do your work double...
    You could directly record your cue, instead of first recording a referenced palette and then a cue.
    I dont get that extra step. Makes no sense for me.
    Yeah, thats why i'm asking ;)
    I recognised as well that my workflow is not the most effective.
    I do so cause i want to have the look with all data present when i need it.
  • bpeterman11bpeterman11 Registered User
    If you are are not in a fixed venue, it allows you to only update your "presets" to fit the current room. Also this way you are able to run a show on the fly, when you are in those situations.
    OK... If you need that look present on very short notice, then I would rather store it as a scene.
    This scene you could also trigger via comment macros.

But still you could just could copy the cue/look to the programmer, and you would have all stuff there for further use. With tracked values as well if you use STATE
    Didn't think about that. Writing scenes fot that is a pretty good idea. Gonna try that out.