effects freezing+ colour Picker fanning

1 I would love to be able to freeze an effect, leaving the effect istself running in the background and snapshooting the stage output as I choose to be. It would be kind of pausing the effect. The flash button might be assigned this function and it would be great if we had a freezing time in and out. Just to be clear at the start, I'm not talking about the possibility of getting rid of whatever Fx in a snap. Freezing effect function would be a nice tool we could play with.

2 It might be a quicker way to fan hue and saturation by directly using the colour picker but encoders. Cheers Marco
  • I love this idea. On motion pictures I get many requests when they try to meter the light to stop the effects at any given moment so they can read the light. Usually I just grab the fixtures and ramp the rate to 0, but to pause it would be very handy. The flash button is a good idea, but I wonder what would it pause exactly? Would it pause every parameter that is in an effect in that master, or is there a way to filter what is paused...like which fixtures and which parameters?
  • Hi,

this is joining an older request I had to simply freeze not only the effect, but also as a second option to freeze the output of the desk. So You can rearrange stuff You had in the programmer f.ex. and release the freeze when needed. This freeze should be accessible fairly quickly, I see a need for a quick freeze/release in more "liveevents".
  • for live shows I'd love to be able to have "fx freeze" on a flash-button. A great tool when songs have sudden breaks and then start again...
    A console-wide macro to freeze all effects would be great, too!
  • Hi Jan,

it is in these situations where it is very usefull to do so. I would also like the global freeze not only as a macro, but also quickly accessible, so You can also freeze for example the color fade and everything else. I also need this quite often. But the global freeze should also be a toggle function, so you freeze the desk, do all the changes needed, and then release, keeping a button presssed is not great in this way. You may call the toggle function also offline mode.
  • hmmm. so maybe we just need a few new macros in addition to the possibility to configure a flash button to freeze all fx in its list.

-A macro to set all fx-speed to 0 and back to 100% - maybe just with the fx-speed as parameter?
    -A macro to modify all fades (maybe with colors, beams etc separated?)

just with 0%=stop and 100%=original speed.
    If you'd combine this with a feature request that I and some other people discussed a few days ago as we wanted a fader for the effect-speed, you'd suddenly be very flexible in any live situation.
    Image you have a fader to control all fx-speeds, and its flash button freezing all movements/effects for live shows? just have one cuelist with your moves and do everything else with the fader. No more big cuelists with lots of moves in various speeds or tons of virtual cuelists or scenes with your moves on festivals.
    I usually have a STOP-button on hog2-desks I prepare for festival: A cuelist on the wing just with a macro that does a "goto 1" on all cuelists that have 100%-intensities as the first cue and chases/intensity-fx as the following cues. It also does a "goto 1" on the "stage positions" cuelist and so on. So at the end of a song you just press one button to stop all chases/moves that were running. This is something that guest operators alway like a lot when they have to use my festival page on the desk.
    It would be very nice to have a 0%-fx-speed button instead. It would then be up to the operator to either put the speed up to 100% to get everything running as it was before or to do a 5sec-move to a new stage position thus overwriting the move (so its cuelist gets released) before that.

I'd probably never use this when I tour or on corporate events, but I see a lot of use for this on festivals and one-off live shows with bands that you don't know too well.

As I also wrote earlier, I do like the grandma-way with a fx-speeds that you could set effects to and then map groups of effects to their own speed-faders. This is really very very useful!
  • Scott,
    from what I gather the flash button should freeze all the effects running in the cuelist whatsoever. Obviously having the chance to mask what is going to be frozen,would be even better. We might have different options such as freezing time in/out and IPCB masking.

Tom,
    I like the idea of being able to freeze the entire output, especially when you already have something in the programmer as the blind option can't be used as we don't want our live changes to disappear. the blind button could be given an extra option. that is entering the blind mode but leaving all the informations I already have in the programmer live on stage. It would be kind of dual level blind mode! dunno if it makes any sense but still .......
    Marco
  • Hi Jan,

I followed the Thread about the Effect Speed/size on a Fader. I already talked about this on this forum quite a while also. I like the idea of the Fader and the flash button, it is an easy and quick way to have it that way round.
    You mention the cuelist for the moves and other fader for the speed and size. I do this with IPCB faders which have only the effect speed or size saved, but having a dedicated function would be easier and quicker to apply.
  • Marco, that is exactly the situation where this will make the most sense. I am quite often in the situation where I did some quick changes, and I need to prepare something else, so freezing the system would be very nice to do. Unplugging the DMX Lines is not the best way to do, especially if you have devices which do not keep the last known good state.
  • Perhaps some of these functins could be assigned to the as-to-yet-unassignable buttons abov eand below the left-hand Rate-Wheel:friday:
  • Yes, but don't forget the iPC users as myself, we don't have these buttons nor the scrollwheels :)
  • [quote=jankirchhoff]
    As I also wrote earlier, I do like the grandma-way with a fx-speeds that you could set effects to and then map groups of effects to their own speed-faders. This is really very very useful!

Which one is better (or both)? To have speed groups made from groups of fx or groups of fixtures?
  • sami,

I like the grandma-way:
    when you set up and save an effect to a cue, you can either set the speed to X cycles per minute or you can set it to a factor and to one of the special FX-Speeds 1 through 4 (or even more I think).
    Now set all your moves to FXspeed1 and use the factor to fine-tune them so they a look the same speed. Then put FXspeed1 on a fader and you always have control over the speed of all moves. Very nice for live shows. When the songs suddenly has a downpart, take down the fader, when it speeds up, put up the fader. All moves that are running or that you start during the song will be in the right speed.
    There are other approaches, too, but I like it a lot this way. The rest of the desk (grandma) still drives me nuts and I'd never want to program on it, but this is a nice function...

Jan

Jan
  • I agree with you. It's a nice feature in GMA...I have to work with that console also...but the rest of it. I almost hate it too.

But I guess there's also idea to have speed groups by fixture groups. Think about basic circle with speed groups of odd/even groups and speed to zero at flash buttons :p
  • Hi Jan,

I'll got for the Grand-MA idea too, it sounds great (never really worked with a GMA). But it's exactly that way I would find very usefull for the shows You named :)
  • sami,

a direct way to have speed groups by fixture would be nice, but if it would be implemented the gma-way, you could just take your cue, select the ODDs and set the fx-speed to FXspeed2 instead of FXspeed1 - there you are with 2 independent groups....

Jan
Related