Hog 4 Playback wing Touchscreen issues

We just upgraded to 3.4.0 and, with a new rig, have been building an entirely new show file (not an upgraded show file). During a programming session...somehow we lost the Wing touchscreen (not on a reboot...DURING programming). Mouse presses work fine, but the touch screen no longer operates. I have tried reboots (different orders...console first, wing second...wing first, console second). I have tried booting with no DVI/USB cables attached and plugged them all back in. I have tried swapping USB ports. And still nothing.

I even went so far as to reinstall the full console ISO hoping it would "trick" the touchscreen into working. Still nothing.

Any thoughts on what may have happened?
Anything I can check inside the wing or console?
I'm at a loss.

Roadhog 4
Hog 4 Playback Wing
USB Keyboard
USB Trackball
  • Update:
    Ok...I did another full console ISO...HOWEVER...this time I kept all USB devices (keyboard, wing, mouse) plugged in (against the suggestion of the install instructions).

This time it took the driver...and all is back to normal. Very odd though that it didn't work the first time and I used the exact same ISO.
  • Hey All, I can second this Problem. Hog 4 with Fader Wing 4 attached. The Touchscreen of the Wing responses without any Problem in Calibration Mode! When in show mode the touches refer to the right Monitor of the Hog itself and nothing happens on the Wing (Fader Wing is attached to external Mon 2) Software Version 3.4.0

Show is programmed new on 3.40, no old conversion

In the middle of a tour, so no way to reinstall without real need...

Best

Rolf
  • And I just had this happen again today...
    Show started up fine...
    Middle of the show, no longer have touch control on the wing...console window is fine.

Reboot...still same issue...reboot...still same issue. At this point, I still haven't been able to get my wing screen to respond to touch yet.

RH4
    Fader Wing
    No other USB devices
  • Anyone have any thoughts on this??? It's getting VERY frustrating to randomly lose the touchscreen during shows. If I can't rely on the screen and have no way to fix it, why do I even have it????
  • Hi,

Sorry no one has responded. I will try to help you narrow this down.

Even though you have rebooted with and without USB plugged in, this looks like the most likely area to have a problem. Is the connection at the H4 Wing loose in any way? Could there be a problem anywhere with the connection?

Also, when you plug in the USB of the touchscreen to a different port it will lose calibration information and a reboot is required, so try not to do that for the time being. Let's narrow this down without losing calibration.

There is a syslogger available as part of the Log (pig-open-1), it is on the Launcher tab. The debug box is not checked by default, check the debug box to turn it on. This will allow us to monitor if the USB connection is coming and going or other system errors.

I know you cannot during a show stop, but if it occurs at a time that is convenient, then first try to re-calibrate; the point being to establish that we can communicate directly to the input subsystem. If those presses are working, the the data is getting to the system correctly and we probably have a problem with X configuration in some way.

There is also the Touchscreen Test application. This will test that X is receiving presses correctly. I would like you to try this if possible also. If this test succeeds then we can start looking at Hog4 application and it's libraries.

Again, sorry for the delay, I hope we can narrow the answer down soon.

donald
  • Thanks Donald...

We are a permanent install, so nothing is getting plugged in/out regularly. It is all fully setup in the booth.

The part that is weird is that I don't lose the wing...only the touchscreen. And it's all the same USB connection.

When the touchscreen has failed, we have indeed tried to re-calibrate and the system does not respond to touches at all on the screen (again, the wing faders still work). The only way I can get anything to work on the screen is via mouse button presses. And there are times this state will stay for several reboots and then magically work again (without unplugging or doing anything).

At first, I thought it was related to turn on sequence...but that doesn't seem to matter. I've tried wing first, then console. I've tried console then wing...sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. Currently we have resorted to having a new "view" that moves everything around in case the wing touchscreen doesn't work.

We'll keep an eye out and see how we can troubleshoot this more.
  • Since the calibration is not finding the device and the Faders still work, it seems that the USB connections and HUBs are fine. This points to the USB touch screen controller; if it works 'early' in the day, but fails 'later' in the day, it might be related to some component of the touch screen controller that has started failing intermittently. At least that is where the evidence points. If you are able to monitor the syslogger that could confirm it's a lost connection.

If you happen to have another wing you can try it and I would hope the problem goes away. That would confirm it.
  • Interesting...I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Is the touch screen controller a "user serviceable" part or would it have to be returned? I'll definitely keep an eye on the syslogger.

Unfortunately, we don't have another fader wing.
  • I don't know if it is "user servicecable", but support should be able to answer. I would let them know.
  • So delving deeper into this...I have started seeing some "connections" but haven't pinpointed it yet.

It "magically" returned to being usable.
    Had a very programming intensive day...and lost it sometime, but didn't notice till late in the evening.
    Next day, still no touch screen (wing continues to work)
    Theater dark for 2 days
    Came back and touch screen was fine.
    Did 4 shows...basic playback...no issues.
    Today...a very programming intensive day...and lose the wing touch screen sometime during the day. Because we don't use the touch screen on the wing a lot, I haven't pinpointed "when" it happens. But it seems to happen on programming heavy days.

I'm trying to go back deep into the syslogger to see if I can pinpoint anything strange that has happened. Also I couldn't find the Touchscreen Test (I KNOW it's there...but couldn't remember how to find it).

I have attached two screen shots from the Debug lines to see if any of it makes sense to you.

Picture 1
    Picture 2

(let me know if the links don't work!)