Grouping fixtures for effects engine

So, I have a 3x5 grid of RGB LED fixtures I built using LED tape. Is there any way to group the fixtures together so that effects fan across them in groups. Say I have them addressed as follows:

1 4 7 10 13
2 5 8 11 14
3 6 9 12 15

If I wanted to do a chase across them and have them light up in columns (1,2,3 then 4,5,6 etc.) how would I do this?
If I select them all and just do fan I get the cascading effect of them lighting up individually, which is neat, but I would like more control.

Comments

• MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    Grouping and buddying is your friend here.
    Select 1 thru 15, grouping of 5 will give you columns, buddying of 5 will give your rows... Now combine that the different fanning options like center, start, end etc....
  • paleuspaleus Registered User
    edited June 2016
    Ok, cool. I did not know about the grouping toolbar. Now I am going to complicate things a little. What if my fixtures were set up as:

1 4 7 10 13
    3 6 9 12
    2 5 8 11 14
    I think setting a repeat of 3 in the grouping toolbar would get the rows on the same values, but can I still do columns? ex: (1,2) (3) (4,5) (6) (7,8) (9)...
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2016
    Since they aren't evenly dispersed, the grouping won't work quite the same way.
    -Just make Group Palettes of each column. Should have 9 Groups. Group 1 is fixture 1&2, Group 2 is 3, Group 3 is 4&5, etc.
    -Set your effect.
    -Now adjust the offset of each column by 40°. (360°/9 columns)
    Column/Group 1 offset it 0°(its the default), Column 2 is 40°, Column 3 is 80°, etc.
    You can use this selection method to adjust Fade/delay times in cues as well.
  • LeggyLeggy Registered User, Hog Beta
    I did speak to Jonathan K about this at Pro Light, and said it would be great to have group based effects so we could offset fixtures by group in the case of uneven numbers. He had some interesting ideas but I don't know whether anything was logged or not.