Random Rate

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but it would be really helpful if there was a random rate command for both playback and Effects engine. I'd probably use the effects engine 1000x more often if I could just click something along the lines of "Random Rate 0>120 bpm"

This would be very helpful when programming intermittent flicker effects like fires or power disconnect gags etc... Currently the way I program these types of effects is I make a cue list with the same effect at say 5 different rates, and then make the list a chase and have it randomly cycle. but that's like 10-20 keystrokes and is not easily adjustable. I would love to have something similar to what EOS has in their effects engine that lets me just specify that I would like the rate to be random (really any of their parameters can get the random flag added to it, which just makes programming that much faster).

If this functionality already exists and I just don't know about it, forgive my lack of insight.

Thanks!

-Elton
  • You can kind of already do this in a cue level. If you select a and then click shuffle selection, then apply an effect and fan the rate, it will do this and it will look very random
  • that works for multiple fixtures getting random rates, but what if I want a fixture to flicker at a random rate by itself, so there is nothing to "fan".
  • try one of the random forms rather than using a sine ect

• I think what Elton is referring to is a true randomness in the rate or speed of an effect or even chase. Even the Random 1, 2, and 3 choices in the effects engine are still rhythmic, and Random in a chase is just referring to the order of the cues playing back. If you were to take a single household bulb and apply its dimmer channel to a Rand1, you would easily see the pattern in the effect.
    If I need a single source to flicker randomly, I'll try using the effects engine, if I think I can hide the pattern within the rest of the lighting that's happening. If the fixture is too prominent, and the pattern will be too noticeable, I'll separate the fixture into it's own cuelist as a chase and use Random on the chase between two or three cues, each with a different effect table or even some static values. This gives a much more random feel.
    What would be nice, as Elton has mentioned, is if the rate parameter of an effect could have a random setting.
    I think the plan is to someday(not sure when) give the effects engine a makeover with some new ideas. I would imagine this would be on the list for that.