Artnet on Nanohog

Hi,
We have purchased some lighting fixtures (Chavuet Epix Bars and the Chavuet Epix drive 642) and have no idea on how to get them to work with the road hog. these fixtures are not in the fixture schedule and i am not sure if they need to be, but we have been trying to wire them up using a Ethernet cable running from the computer to the epix drive, where the fixtures are connected. i have watched the Hog4 tutorial on the youtube channel and we have tried to do the same thing, but each time we change the IP address, it goes back to the default and will not keep what we change after applying it and exiting out. What is going on and how can we get these fixtures to work with the NanoHog4. we are using Hog4pc with the Nanohog, and need help with art net. the fixtures only have inputs for ethernet cables and don't have dmx inputs. Can someone guide us in the right direction on what to do to get these working. we need them up and running by Easter 2016. THANKS

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    So looking at the webpage (and without going too deep into them), it looks like they are designed to take video and pixel map it to Artnet, Klingnet or sACN. Depending on how many you have, you might end up using more than the universes you have available on the Nanohog as they eat a TON of channels for the pixel mapping.

As far as IP changes…with HogPC, you need to set this on the COMPUTER, not the console. It keeps reverting back because that's what's coming from the computer. On the console, you set the IP on the console, but for Hog PC, you have to do it on the computer.

How many universes do you have on the Nano???
  • fatmatt86fatmatt86 Registered User
    We have 4 universes on the nano, 2 of which have nothing on them. I believe the driver breaks up the channels. I was thinking the same thing, telling our service director that each fixture has 160 pixels which is 480 channels and we only had room for 1024 channels. We have 8 LED bars and 2 drivers. Each driver aupports 4 fixtures through ethernet. He was dissapointed that i was unable to set them up last night. I told him if it was dmx or xlr inputs it would be done, but artnet is something new for me, and i have no knowledge of where to start. Networking is not my strong suite. I dont know what to do. Thanks for your help.
    Yes…each bar is 450 channels…all the driver box does is tell the art net where to go into the bars. So you're still looking at 3600 channels that the Hog needs to control. And you will need to patch each and every one of those channels if you want the console to control it. And you will probably want to use the pixel map function in the console to ease programming and use video as opposed to just grabbing a bar.
    Wow. It looks like we may have to return these then, or add some widgets. I was under the impression that the drivers could somehow lower the channel numbers. Maybe use a seperate program for them
    Normally it uses a video mapping program and then the driver just routes the data as Artnet, KlingNet or sACN…but the channel count does not go down. If you want to control them from the console, then you still need all the channels.
    Is there anything out there we could buy to use this with the nanohog without going through so many channels. Also would these fixtures need profiles or can we just use the generic RGB profile.
    These are generally designed to be used with media servers and not DMX directly from a console (hence the recommendation on the Chauvet site for Arkaos).

You could use a media server…trigger the video files on the media server and have the server send out the art net. Media servers aren't cheap though. Chauvet shows Arkaos Media Master Express software…which runs around $700-800. If you're just triggering Arkaos, you need to patch the Arkaos layers, masters, etc. (you'd have to look at the documentation)…and not patching the Bars themselves.

If you try to control them from the Nano (not through media software), then you'd have to see what the pixels are (probably RGBA, but I don't know without digging deeper).
    So If we purchase the arkaos media server we would be able to use the pixel mapping layers on hog4pc through artnet without eating up a ton of channels? We have spent close to $5,000 on the bars, drives, and ethernet cables and supplies. I would hate to tell our service director that we cant use them with the nanohog and have to ship them all back. Does the nanohog have a media server we could used with these fixtures? Purchasing the media server may be the best option if we can get it to work with the hog4pc program. I am way over my head on this. Thanks so much for your help.
    Arkaos has the LED mapper. To control Arkaos with the Nano, you have to figure out which method you want to use it in and patch accordingly. Arkaos does not require a ton of channels to control. There is a big learning curve with pixel mapping and media server programming just so you're aware. It's going to be a lot of trial and error since you aren't familiar with Artnet/KlingNet/Networking and have never used a media server before.
    I have told our service director. I am hoping we return them and get something else compatable and not as complicated. Thanks so much for your help
    Sounds like the best plan…and a little research before buying. Good luck!
    He got back with me and still wants to use the epix bars. I have 17 days to figure this whole thing out. Wish me luck. I am thinking of just patching all 8 of them using the same patch points for now. Placing them all on the same channels. They would basically just match but as far as video content goes, we will save that for later. Thanks
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    You might go with Odd/even, as you have 2 universes free....
    Or get a Arkaos Mediamaster or so... You would need another computer to run it.
    Another option would be to buy a (used) DP8000 which gives you another 16 universes...
    Might be cheaper than a licence for Media/LED Master plus computer.
    Since these are controlled through through ethernet and not Dmx or Xlr, do we need the universes at all? How would we connect a ethernet cable to the 5pin dmx outputs. Also do i need to request a fixure profile since these arent listed in the fixture schedule? Would connecting the ethernet to the computer we are running give us more channels than the 512 we can get with the dmx universes.
    It's controlled through ethernet because of the channel count (450 channels per fixture). So yes, you still need the universes. They are RGB LED's (150x3 channel). If you use the EPIX driver and address them at 1, it would be addressed 1 through 450. You would then have to patch 150 RGB LED's (under generic) to have control. You need to enable art net output from the Nano and tell it what universe to send where.
    I have patched 100s of fixtures before, but everyone of them where controlled via Dmx outputs. The whole artnet thing is relatively new to me, and i wasnt trained on it when i took the training class in Austin last year. I think i can figure this out from here. Thanks so much for your assistance and clearing things up for me. 15 days left and counting. Wish me luck.
    We have purchased 1 of these as well. It is a dmx512 to rj45 ethernet adapter. Will this work if we just plug it into the back of the nano, or do we still need to configure the whole artnet thing for this to work. We are trying to eliminate the need for a network. Is that possible and would this work, or is this cable just a piece of junk?
    That is only for use when you're using ethernet lines to transmit true DMX. The EPIX requires art net.
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
    Can you tell which of the EPIX Bars you have...
    I see 3 models:
    Strip 2.0
    Bar tour
    Strip tour

No matter if you use DMX or Artnet, you would need to run some cables.
    If you already have 4 hard DMX lines, you might want to use a DMX-Artnet converter and convert the 2 free DMX lines on stage to artnet.
    But the more elegant way would be then to run one ethernet cable and use the artnet node on stage to convert all universes from Artnet to DMX and/or supply the EPIX System
    We have 8 of the epix bar tour and a epix 642 drive..
    I was able to get these to work today. It looks like we have 6 empty universe. I was able to connect these through DCPH network, and had full control of the 1st epix bar. Plot view and pixel mapping works for the 1st one, just they way it is supposed to. but when i connected the 2nd bar, every pixel on both of the bars flashes. I currently have both fixtures set to the same ip address and the subnet channel but have changed the universe setting for the 2nd fixture. I used dmx test and both the fixtures come on but they continuously flash. Any idea why. I can get the first fixture to work properly and the 2nd fixture to work properly, but when i try and control them both at the same time, they both flash. I tried changing the ip address for the second fixture and it stops the first from flashing and vice versa. What can i do to fix this?
    You probably need to have different IP addresses. More than likely an IP conflict is happening. Set it to same universe/subnet but different IP.
    I'll try that. I tried changing ip addresses but also had different net and subnet #s. I stick the subnet on the same and see how that goes. Thanks
    In networking, all individual pieces must have it's own IP address. You can tell the same Universe and Subnet to go to different places but the packets need some place to go. Just like in computers, you can't have two computers on the network have the same IP address..the network gets confused.
    About the universes: HOG PC will show you 8 universes in total. As you only have one superwidget just the first 4 universes will be active and also be cloned to artnet.

Another important thing:
    Dont mix up IP-Subnet with Artnet-Subnet, two total different things. IP-Subnet specifies a range of available IPs and Subnet from Artnet is how to specify a DMX-universe together.
    image do we need a dmx processor 8000 or can we use the super duper usb widget with the nanohog4 to get more universes
    With HOG-PC you can do a maximum of 8 universes via widgets. So another super widget will give you 8 in total. A super duper widget wont help and will give you also only 4, although it has 8 universes.
    With a DpP8K you will get another 16 universes (which 8 of them have direct out DMX on 5-pin) and all 16 are available via Artnet
    We have hogPC and have a nanohog connected. The nano hog has 4 5pin dmx ports on the back. On the nanohog it shows 8 univeres in blue like they are available, and 8 more universe are in red like they are unavailable. Do you know how many universes the NanoHog has total? It is no longer on the high end website and now looks like it is an elation product. Can we use universes 5-8 for artnet since they are blue, or are we still limited to the 4 universes on the Nano hog4 running HogPc. I checked on some prices for the dmx super duper widget as well as the dmx 8000 processor and we dont have the budget to purchase them now. So far, i was able to place all 16 epix bars on universe 3. It is just a repeated and compressed image on each fixture, but it should get us by for Easter. We would like to eventually be able to pixel map across all 8 fixtures instead of having them all on the same universe, and my service director wants to know what we need to get each of the 8 fixtures on there own seperate universes, so that he can purchase the equipment needed. Is there any other widgets or device we could use for under $1000 that we could use to control all 8 individually? Thanks
  • ejberendsenejberendsen Registered User, Hog Beta
    The amount of artnet universes depending on how much dmx widgets you have connected. But HogPC4/Nano have a maximum of 8 universes, if you want more you need a dp8000.

In your case with 4 dmx outputs you have 4 artnet universes, if you want more you can connect 1 more super widget to get 8 universes.

Hopes this helps.
    lightjams.com/artnet.html Thanks. That helps out alot. I checked prices and they are way beyond our current budget for a dp8000. On the other hand, could we use this software and send artnet through this software. It says that it has 16 artnet universes in total output. Could we install this on a seperate computer for the channel space and use the universes in the program to control pixel mapping and artnet with hog4pc and the Nano board?
    Yes this would be possible. Thats what others suggested before (external Mediaserver like Media/LED Master from Arkaos)
    HOG PC can handle 8 universes without extra DPs, to output you need the matching numbers of widgets. Output on Artnet is always the same amount of widget-outputs and the outputs are only mirrored to Artnet.
    You might have a look at gearsource or so for a used DP8K.
    For Lightjam you would need an extra computer as well, but still cheaper than a DP8K.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    Hi,
    When it's cheaper to buy another computer + custom s/w
    than to use the branded hardware it might be time to assess the pricing and setup of Hog PC /DP8000.

Seems odd that someone requiring so few additional artnet universes has to spend so much.
    It's taken 15 years to get 04 x universes of artnet (when you buy a widget) I suppose another 15 years to get 08 universes?
    The discussion will roll on and on.
    The user is only trying to patch 08 fixtures so HE can either hope users spend more or realise users may go elsewhere where you can get 64 universes for free.
    Tricky times.
    To add I'm sure plenty of people would buy a dongle that would open artnet universes on Hog PC.
    Not everyone needs or wants more hardware when all of this is software being locked/unlocked to gain access to more connectivity or control.
    That's what i think too. The dp8000 is listed new for $8000. If we go with a new computer and the needed software it looks like less than $1000 and get the same 16 artnet universes. Pixel mapping is the future in lighting and thete should be a new way to use these fixtures without eating through somany channels.
    Hi,
    There is a very useful pixelmapper within Hog4 and the channel count of the fixtures won't change but
    what might could change is the way artnet is unlocked or made available.
    As I said you might pay $1000 to have the ability of controlling extra universes but you won't/can't pay $8000 for a new DP.
    8000$ is list price (I dont know any person who pays a list price)... look for used ones... I just bought one for under 2000€
    A dongle system would be good to have.
    We have purchased Arkaos mediamaster and are able to fully control each pixel through video files. how can we trigger the videos from the hog4 to control the fixtures. i am refering back to a previous comment on this:
    (You could use a media server…trigger the video files on the media server and have the server send out the art net. Media servers aren't cheap though. Chauvet shows Arkaos Media Master Express software…which runs around $700-800. If you're just triggering Arkaos, you need to patch the Arkaos layers, masters, etc. (you'd have to look at the documentation)…and not patching the Bars themselves. )

• ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    Having never used Arkaos, but having understanding of media servers, this is how I understand your setup would work (Experts please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm explaining it VERY high level since I want to make sure your understanding of the setup is the same as what the users are suggesting to you.

-Patch the lights in Arkaos. Arkaos will be the device spitting out the 'DMX' or Art-net to the lights. Most likely patched via IP addresses. I don't believe these Chauvet lights would let you daisy chain the Ethernet, most likely need ethernet switches and home run to each light.
    -The videos will also be loaded into Arkoas.
    -In Hog PC patch Arkoas as a fixture(s). Might be multiple 'fixtures', depending on the profile and how many 'layers' you are using. I imagine Hog and Arkoas are connected via Artnet as well? Perhaps Arkoas also has Dmx in, don't know for certain.
    -You will control ARkoas video playback from Hog. Arkoas drives the lights.
    You would not be using the pixel mapping from HogPC