OFF Effect not included when Copying State

Hi,

I've just been having a look at something that tripped me up the other day. An Off effect isn't being picked up when using Copy State unless it exists in the source cue.

I would start a theatre show by selecting all my fixtures, touching them and recording cue 1. This way, wherever I am in the show I can copy "state" and block my list.

I am finding that if an Off effect isn't present in a cue, it isn't picked up using the State option. Surely it should be being considered a tracked parameter as much as the actual values are?

My test scenario is:
1. Select fixtures, Touch, Record Cue 1. Clear.
2. Select fixtures, assign intensity, position values, record only intensity & position as Cue 2 (masking out effects and time). Clear.
3. Select fixtures, assign intensity, position values and apply sine effect to them. Record Cue 3.
4. Now Cue 2 Copy (State) 4 Enter.

In Cue 2 my fixtures had no effect running, so given I had touched everything in Cue 1, when I copy state from cue 2, I would expect cue 4 to look the same, but the effects from cue 3 track through.

I just tested this on v2.7.0 and it has been the case certainly since then, but it seems incorrect to me and probably explains a few occasions of "weirdness" that I have quickly worked around and not thought much more about.

What are your thoughts?
  • Well, it does make sense when copying cues normally but as you mention when you enable the "state" button on the copy toolbar then you would indeed be correct to expect that all tracking values in the source cue (including tracking effects) would be copied to the destination.

In your example cue 2 is tracking the effect value from cue 1 so when you copy cue 2 to cue 4 and select "state" from the copy toolbar then the effect state of cue 2 is "off" and this is what should be copied into cue 4. I will check our backlog for this. My guess is that the state logic simply doesn't account for tracking effect values of "off".