FULL BOAR 4 and SMPTE 30 problems

Hi to everyone
I'm on tour with a Full Boar 4 (latest release) and a Catalyst V.5 on a new MacPro. I've programmed a show on a single cue list which is triggered by SMPTE 30 signal. I' using the built-in SMPTE input. On stage there are two mac book pro (a MAIN and a SPARE connected to a switch) that send audio sequences and timecode to lights (GM2 system) and video (FullBoar4) and a teleprompter system. Well, everything it's ok during the rehearsals, when we use the only MAIN to send audio sequences. When we connect the SPARE, my timecode, and only my timecode sometimes doesn't start or starts with a delay or with some impossible count like ( -8:-2:-30:-17 ) ( 60:85:30:05 ) . This is a big problem 'cause I've got several video built in sync with the songs. We have tested everything, cables (two XLR, a main and a spare) signal, timecode volume (O db), but nothing to do.
The only solution for now, is that we don't connect the SPARE during the show, but this is not a correct solution.
Next tuesday I'll try with a USB widget and I hope I can solve.

Is there anyone that can give me any suggestion to understand or solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

Paco

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DHiHft7WTdVlV6eGxhSHJBbW8/view?usp=sharing
  • Is it the EXACT same file played back from Main and Spare? My guess is backup is a different frame rate and not SMPTE 30. Have you tried switching the Main and Backup cables? Do you get the same results? That would point to the source of
    Have you tried loading the file from Main on to backup and playing over the Main cables? (Could be an audio card)

Do the other devices chase Backup fine? That would be surprising if so. How do you (and the other TC chasing devices) switch between Manual and Backup? Physically unplugging and pluging cables or using a A/B switch?

Is one set as non drop and one Drop-frame?

Try having them both play and then plug in a powered speaker (like an anchor), right at the end of the line, right before the board and just go back and forth and listen to the 2 signals. Sometimes you can suss out a volume level difference, or an obvious distortion in the audio.

Let me know what you figure out, I'd be interested to follow this.

Scott
  • Hi Scott
    MAIN AND SPARE are the exact copy one of the other.
    The switch from MAIN TO SPARE is made by a A/B switch if MAIN crashes.
    All cables have been tested.
    I'll ask tomorrow to audio crew about drop-frame or non drop-frame, but I think there's no difference between.
    We have tested everything in the timecode signal...no distortion, no modulation, nothing....
    I hope is something about the SMPTE built-in... Tomorrow I'll try with an external usb widget....

I'll make a report.

Thanks

• Does it work correct when only the backup is connected?
    How does your A/B switch for the timecode work? Does it switch all 3 pins from the XLR?

What happens if you swop the hardware from main to backup?
    Do you use audio-interfaces for the output from the Mac-Books?

Have you tried connecting a mif4 or something else that can show timecode in the line before and after the A/B switch
  • Been a while since I've used SMPTE, but nonetheless here's some thoughts...

SMPTE is LTC and is typically sourced and fed as an audio signal.
    Therefore, you need to make sure that the source level is correct.
    Not too high, and not too low.
    Does the Spare have a different level than the Main?

Are you switching between the Main and Spare before starting the SMPTE stream, or after the stream has started?

How much lead up time is there before the first cue?
    We always rolled SMPTE a reasonable amount of time before first cue to make sure it has time to sync and lock.
    And to have a chance to fix issues before curtain and first cue.

What hour is your show in?
    Most folks will say that you should not use 00:00:00.01 as your start.
    We always started at something like 01:00:00.00

Hope this helps.

• Hi to everybody
    Sorry for my delay to the answer.
    Finally it seems to be solved. The problem was the switch radial where are connected the 2 Macbook Pro that play sequences.
    We have found a latency of 60 frames between Main and Spare when dj starts or stop sequences. The Main stop but the Spare is still working...and when the Main starts, the Spare starts before.....!!!!
    We've solved disconnecting Spare timecode from the Radial switch.....
    Thanks to everybody

Paco
  • drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DHiHft7WTdemd0Z20yZkpZaXM/view?usp=docslist_api
    This is the switch.....