Windows 10 startup

Hey hey hey,

So I've got Windows 10 installed on a Dell AIO PC that I've been using with Hog 4 for about a year. It was running Windows 8.1 and I upgraded it to Windows 10 about three weeks ago. Hog works great, as it did prior to the upgrade, but I've got one little issue that's really more of an annoyance than anything else.

When the computer boots, it will, in some cases, not load one of the wing or widget drivers (and consequently Hog does not see the wing and/or widget). In device manager, the wing or widget will appear with the little exclamation mark by it. The work-around is simple -- just unplug the affected wing from the USB and then reconnect it. What troubles me is that it never did this in Windows 8.1. I have a Nano wing with a four universe widget installed as well as an older Hog 3 playback wing. It seems to be different every time the PC starts -- sometimes it's the playback wing, sometimes it's the Nano wing, sometimes it's the DMX widget. I've never seen a case where it has been more than one, and it doesn't happen every time the PC boots (although it's probably 9 times out of 10). I'm hoping this is some subtle driver issue that will be fixed in an update, but I'm wondering two things: Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution other than disconnecting and reconnecting USB cables every time I boot the PC? I am happy to provide any further technical details if needed. :)

Thanks!

Comments

• kbx81kbx81 Registered User
    I should clarify...I did not technically "upgrade" to Windows 10. The machine was wiped and the installation was done fresh/from scratch. No software other than Hog is installed on this PC.
    Anybody? :)

I upgraded to 3.2.1 this weekend and this is still happening. :(
    Anyone here from HES that might be able to help?
  • Go_ButtonGo_Button Registered User
    If you look at the download page of Hog4 PC software the highest supported Windows version is 8.1. Maybe that's the problem.
  • Go_ButtonGo_Button Registered User
    edited October 2015
    Ok. Sorry. I always download from here:
    http://www.hog4.de/en/downloads-hog-4-pc

Win 10 is not in the list.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    Thats not the official HES or HOG website.
    This site is hosted by the former HES distributor ARCUS. So might not be up to date from time to time or not at all... ;)
    Yeah you really should download from the official site...not to discredit that one, but you never know what 3rd parties may be up to...

Anyway...still no suggestions? I'd really like to get this resolved one way or another... :)
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    Is your laptop on battery power? Does this happen when it is connected to a power outlet?
    Check your USB power sharing settings on the PC. Very often by default they are not set to be always on at full power, especially with laptops and this can cause problems communicating with the USB devices.
    The machine is not a laptop...and I don't think it's a power management issue because it happens immediately/when the machine boots. If it were a power management issue, I would expect that it would work correctly at boot and then fail after the software is in use and left idle for some time. I've run into sleeping issues before and I know that's always been a problem so I've disabled sleeping and any other power management features in the OS.
  • Zdubs13Zdubs13 Registered User, Hog Beta
    I just posted about this today in the general section. I'm having trouble with the widgets not being recognized. I AM still on Windows 8.1 and I have confirmed multiple times that I have the latest drivers and firmware installed on the machine and on the attached Nano wing they play out of.
    @zdubs13 are you seeing the same behavior I described at the top?
  • Zdubs13Zdubs13 Registered User, Hog Beta
    Yes, particularly with the widgets. Just posted about it today.
    https://forums.highend.com/index.php?p=/discussion/17705/widgets-reassigning#latest
    Anyone here from High End who might have some insight into this? I've done the latest batch of Windows updates and am still having this issue. Tonight the widget didn't initialize but both wings were responding. Again, not critical but it's definitely a nuisance. Just hoping for some more suggestions or an ETA for a driver fix, if that's the issue. I'm pretty tech savvy and haven't seen any other USB hardware behave this way in Windows 10.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    KBX81, I think we might have identified a minor bug in the super-widget firmware code that would perhaps be causing your issue with the widgets but I am not sure about the wings. We are working on a beta version of v3.3.0 right now. When I get it out to beta I want you to give it a shot. I'll add your user account to beta now.
  • GordoGordo Registered User, Hog Beta
    FWIW, I'm also running a Nano Hog on both a Surface Pro 3 and Asus on Windows 10 and have not encountered an issues with the wing or inbuilt widget
    Awesome, looking forward to trying it out, @c_muenchow -- thanks a bunch!