True Abstraction

One of the other post regarding real-world zoom values brought up something else I've encountered.

Will it be possible to have paramters like wheel rotation speeds and Strobe Hz consistent across fixture types?:confused:

i.e. Set the gobo rotation of a Technobeam to say 75-RPM, and then set the gobo rotation of a Studio Spot 575 also to 75-RPM. The actual speeds on stage are different! (Both fixtures have the same throw)

I realize that this may mean calibrating every paramter for every fixture in the library!! :eek: :aargh4: (No small task to be sure! And I know we don't even have color calibration for everything yet!)

Additionally fixtures should only be allowed values that they can actually produce. So if the maximum RPM is only 200, the fixture should not be allowed to go up to 300.

The advantage would be a true abstraction between fixture types. :ninja: So when you change your fixture type, the actual looks will all be the same. No need to adjust every Palette.:arms: Although I'm sure we'll still need to check 'em!
  • This is suppossed to be the case and is the concept behind the library structure. I believe you will find some library's to be more accurate than others though... or at least that has been my experience.
  • Marty,

As Paul has stated, this is the concept of the library system, however actually gathering all that data and verifying it for various fixtures and software versions is a huge task. You will however find that care has been taken to match many parameters as best as possible and many parameters do function with this concept in mind.

thanks,
  • I do appreciate the sheer magnitude of gathering all that data for every fixture ever made and doing so for new ones as they are developed and released.

And yes, some fixtures do behave more similarly than others.

I just wondered if there was any plan to make this happen. I also realize there are other more immediate priorities for the desk overall.

I just see the potential here for soemthing extraordinarilly powerful that would make it stand out all that much more.

The task may me enormous, but the payoff will be exponential.

Thanks guys!
  • @brad
    I understand that you'd never be able to verify all data from all fixtures out there.
    What about an easy way in the desk to adjust such "errors" and a possibility get the library-changes back to you?
    If I could adjust the library in an easy way during programming, i.e. I have a VL1000 and some no-name-movinglight hanging next to each other on the truss and assume the VL1000 library is OK, I could adjust the other lamp to have corresponding zoom- or gobo rotation-values - given that it is easy todo during programming (and I would not have to open the patch window, edit the fixture and so on..). If there was possibility to get this back to HES (maybe using some usb-memory some time ;) and then emailing/uploading it) it would speed things up a lot. Some kind of "Open Source"-like thinking, the community returns its improvements to the library. You'd just collect the changes and assume that a modification is correct if the same changes came from more than X different people and it's not a lamp whose library you guys adjusted yourself....
  • Just out of couriousity.. Do you do the calibrating yourselfes? I've noticed youre listed on carallon's website as clients..if this is not the case, it does look like they are providing all the calibrated data we need.(the website havn't changed since i saw it the first time though.. and that is a loong time ago.. they can be out of business for all i know.)
  • Anders,

At this time I am not able to comment publicly on our interactions with other companies, but calibration is currently an FPS process.

thanks,
  • I think Jan's idea is great!:)

Put the masses to work. You've got a large and ever expanding user base..why not have them willingly participate in the process.

It will certainly benefit everyone. We all get better libraries, and HES/FPS don't have to shell out massive bucks to develop them all.

:arms:
  • Jan,

That is certainly an interesting idea. we will have to look further into it.

thanks,
  • Yes, a really good idea!. i know theres lots of people out there that would done something like that, i know i will.. of cource parameters like coulour would be really difficult to do this way..but goborot rpm. strobe hz ,etc. could bedone quite easy.. actually you could just time those with a stopwatch..

but on the otherside..what about reliability of the data?? say someone make a mistake..-is a wrong "calibrated" fixture better than a non "calibrated" one??

Another idea would be to "push" the manufacters of the fixtures.. Theese days many of the desks(most?) have "abstraction" to a sertain amount, and wouldnt it be natural if the manufacters over time started to ship info like that also?? Today, they're handing out the dmxchannelchart of the fixtures, telling us that goborot is channel x range y-z.. now that more desks link those numbers to a real world value, wouln't it only be logcal if they also said that y-z equals: yrpm-zrpm??

I think that with todays consoles isn't that kind of info also just as important to make a good library?? and, i would gues that info like that already exists at the manufactors, they designed the fixture..

Can we expect this from the manufactors??-prob not, lol.. but maybe in the future..
  • Agreed that the data needs to come from the manufacturers...but we all know how fast beauocracy works ;)

Part of what Jan suggested was that after a certain number of submissions came in the same or similar enough, only then would the library be updated. So once you get 3 or 4 independant data sets, you can (hopefully) assume that the data is accurate.
Related