Hog III Novice

Hi All,
having been a Hog II user for some time i'm going to start my first run of show's on an IPC in hog III mode.
Most of you are way ahead of me so i'm looking for some help setting up a basic show.
I want the show i create to be something i can continue to use in festival situations over the summer so anything i start now will be the basis for my festival show later in the year.
Any tips or info regarding building pallettes,cuelists or patching would be of a big help.

Thanks in advance C :welcome:
  • While some of the syntax is different, you can use the same logic for laying out your groups and palettes for busking as you did on the Wholehog 2.

Is there anything specific you were wondering about or are there any particular areas you'd like advice with?

Here's a few things to get you started:

FADE CHANGES
    There is no longer a Live Programmer button in the Control Panel. Each editor, including the Programmer, has a Fade Changes button on the toolbar at the top.

ADDITIVE VIEWS
    Hold Open and press the View soft key to open the view directory.
    Press the spreadsheet icon to look at the spreadsheet view.
    There is an additive column that can be set Yes / No.
    A view with Additive set to Yes will recall the windows stored in that view on top of any other windows that are already open. This allows you to save a couple of basic views with all of your standard windows and then use additive views to recall specific windows you need on top of those views.

GUARD CUELISTS / ACTION AT END OF LIST
    The cuelist directory has a Guard button on the toolbar at the top. If you have guard turned off and you tap a cuelist, it will activate a Go for that cuelist. This allows you to run cuelists that are not attached to masters.
    In the cuelist options window, there is a drop-down list for Action at end of list. If you set this to "Add release end cue", pressing go when in the last cue will release the list. By using these 2 features together, you can cuelists with a single cue that can be turned on and off by tapping the list in the cuelist window. This can be a convenient way to change colors, change gobos, or strobe fixtures.

SCENES WITH IPCB FADERS
    Record a scene to a master. Open the scene options and on the Master Controls tab, set the Fader to be an IPCB crossfader. Running the fader will manually crossfade parameters from their values on-stage to the values in the scene. This is very powerful and can allow you to manually fade all of your wash lights to blue or all of your spots into a ballyhoo, for example.

TAP SYNC
    For chases that are assigned to masters, holding the Choose button for that master and tapping play will tap-sync the chase.

INHIBITIVE SUBMASTERS
    Moving a Group onto a master will create an inhibitive submaster for that group of fixtures.

CAPTURE PAGE ACTIVITY
    In the page directory, you can capture the state of the current page so that it will be restored every time that page is loaded. You can also click on the spreadsheet view and directly edit the comment macros used for this functionality. You can add macros to go or release lists, fade masters, enable timecode, and many other options.

I hope this helps to get you started. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks.
  • Hiya Cormac,

How's things in F.F. land? You still with them?

You will definitely want to get a good feel of how Spreadsheets and Editors work.

There's a whole lot more flexibility there for things like offsetting effects, cahnging tables, etc. to get precisely what you want, which is something I've seen you do a lot on the Hog-2.

It's MUCH easier to work with all that now.

As always feel free to give me a ring on my cell if you still have my number. Otherwise drop me an e-mail if you need it.

The guys in support are very helpful as well if you hit a snag.

Hope I run into you again soon!
  • Hi marty,
    Yep still on the FF roadshow which hasn't really stopped since i saw you!,
    thanks for the offer of advice which i may well take you up on.

1.Please correct me if i'm wrong but when building colour pallettes that will work when i use the "change type" feature in the patch should i building them from the colour picker or creating them myself or neither?

2.Is the process for pallette building the same as in Hog II where you only use a single fixture so that it carries on if you add more fixtures or is that now not the case.

More questions to follow i'm sure,

thanks C
  • Cormac,

1) Change Type looks at the common parameters that are shared between the old fixture type and the new fixture type. If the both the old and new fixtures have CMY parameters, those will be transferred. If the both fixtures have HS parameters, those will also be transferred. If both fixtures have a Colour 1 parameter (static colour wheel) with a slot named Red, then anytime the Red slot has been used in cues, scenes and palettes for the old fixture, it will be used for the new fixture.

2) There are 3 palette types: Global, Per-Type, and Per-Fixture. The console is usually intelligent enough to determine which type to use. Global palettes apply the same values to all fixtures. Per-Type palettes apply the same values to all fixtures of a single type. Per-Fixture palettes apply unique values to each fixture.

Global palettes and Per-Type palettes will behave as "greedy" and can be applied to fixtures that weren't originally recorded to the palette.

When you record a palette, if all of your fixtures have the same values, the palette will be recorded as global. If each of your fixture types have the same values, but there are differences between the types, the palette will be recorded as per-type. Otherwise, the palette will be recorded as per-fixture.

You can override the type of palette created by selecting Global, Per-Type, or Per-Fixture from the More... section of the Record Options Toolbar, but it will not let you perform an invalid operation, such as recording a global palette when you have differing values in your programmer.
  • [QUOTE=cormacjack]

1.Please correct me if i'm wrong but when building colour pallettes that will work when i use the "change type" feature in the patch should i building them from the colour picker or creating them myself or neither?

It's my understanding that to get the best results for "change type" when going from one CYM fixture to another - you should build your CYM pallettes utilizing Hue and Saturation. The color picker is a quick way to do just that or us the Hue and Saturation encoders. Apparently the desk processor handles the transposed information better. One warning though... in earlier versions software if you had a cue written with CYM lights using a pallette made with Hue & Saturation - if you touched the Cyan, Yellow or Magenta encoder(s) with those lights selected - the console will bump out all CYM live! For live editing of Hue & Saturation - always use the Hue & Saturation encoders.
  • Han,

That is true if you are working with colour calibrated fixtures because you are more likely to get consistent colours after changing type.

CMY values will transfer when changing type, but if you are changing between 2 colour calibrated fixtures and you have programmed your colours with hue and saturation, the hue and saturation values that are transferred should produce the same colours from the light. Different lights will often produce slightly different colours when using the same CMY values because of differences in lamps and colour mixing wheels, so it is correct to say that you will have the best results when changing types between colour calibrated fixtures if your colours are programmed with hue and saturation.
  • Thanks all,
    this is the sort of information i need to know.
    I have read some of the manual and information like this is not listed (i hope!!)

1.As a rule when i record my first cue on a cue list ( Hog II) i usually use record state to record all values into the first cue.Is this process the same in Hog III.

Best C
  • [quote=teerickson]
    CAPTURE PAGE ACTIVITY
    In the page directory, you can capture the state of the current page so that it will be restored every time that page is loaded. You can also click on the spreadsheet view and directly edit the comment macros used for this functionality. You can add macros to go or release lists, fade masters, enable timecode, and many other options.

:cool:Is this sort of like Snapshot on the Virtuoso?
  • Cormac,

There's no need to record state for your first cue.

There are 2 times when I can see this making a difference:

1) When no playback is controlling a parameter it is set to its default value. If you were to change your default values in the Edit Fixtures window, this could change how a cuelist looks on stage if you had not blocked the first cue.

2) When you have interactions between multiple tracking LTP cuelists playing back, the entire cuelist is asserted each time Go or Assert is pressed. If you had recorded state into the first cue, every parameter of every light would be asserted instead of just the parameters that you had changed while programming the list.
  • Scott,

Yes. This is "sort of" like snapshots on the Virtuoso.

Here are the differences:

1) Snapshots are accessible at any time. Capture Page Activity sets options only when you change to that page.

2) Snapshots record and recall pretty much everything about the current state of your console. This can be somewhat narrowed with filtering. Capture Page Activity uses comment macros, so you can do as much or as little as you want. You can recall views, go or pause or release lists and scenes, set fader levels, enable or disable timecode, etc. The one thing that snapshots do that you cannot currently do with comment macros or Capture Page Activity is change the current fixture selection.

There may be some other small differences, but that should give you a general idea. It's been a while since I've used a Virt.
  • [QUOTE=cormacjack]

1.As a rule when i record my first cue on a cue list ( Hog II) i usually use record state to record all values into the first cue.Is this process the same in Hog III.

There's another trick to giving a hard command at the beginning of a list. Try selecting the fixtures and use touch. This will load all perimeters into the programmer so when you record or update the cue those fixtures will be "blocked". This is most use full for cues that you know your going to duplicate or move about within the list. I'll make a group for every fixture & desk channel that I consistently want to block. Usually exclude key light specials, smoke machines, etc. so those are left out. This can bone you though if your going to edit at the beginning of the list and expect the edit to track forward.
  • 1 - On palette types, in addition to the 3 palette types, you should also be aware that palettes DO NOT automatically "nest" or "reference" the way they did on Hog-2.

You must select "Allow Refs" when recording "nested" palettes. You'll find it in the toolbar at the bottom of the right-hand screen after pressing "Record" and then "More" right along with your palette type selection options.

i.e. - If you record indivual focus positions for Vox, Drums, Keys, Guitar, etc. And then you make a focus position for "Band-1" that has two lights at each position, if you do not select "Allow Refs" the hard values will go into the palette, and any changes to any one of the other focus positions will not carry over.

2 - on HSI vs CMY values. Tom is quite right about using HSI values to get accurate colors when changing type WITH CALIBRATED FIXTURES is the key there. Not all the fixtures have been color calibrated to the HSI color model. To see if they have simply look all the way to the right in your PATCH window in the "Col Cal" column. And yes do be careful about bumping your CMY wheels if doing HSI changes on-the-fly.

Additionally, do be VERY careful about using HSI in your cues. Slower, smoother changes may produce unwanted results. Especially if the colors are very far apart on the HSI "wheel".

i.e. - you are changing colors from Deep Blue to Yellow using HSI with a fade time of say 4 seconds. You may see your color mixing mechanisms doing some strange and possibly unwanted things as the lights change color. This is because the Hue and Saturation values are moving around the wheel to get to the next color, and this is not necessariliy the natural path the mechanisms want to take to get there. If you ever run into Dan Hardiman over there ask him what happened to him the first time he tried using HSI values to program a UB-40 tour....

So here's the workaround I use. Just create a set of HSI palettes of the colors you are going to use, but make sure it is with a color calibrated fixture. These will act as a sort of reference palette only. Then simply select your new set of lights, select the HSI color palette, touch your CMY wheels and record the new palette with CMY values (after making any possible necessary adjustments) and make sure your cues are built from the CMY palettes, not the HSI ones.

WHEW!!! That was quite long enough...hope it helps.:headbang:
  • As Marty mentioned, the colours you see on stage when fading in HS can be different than the colours you see when fading CMY. This makes sense when you think about the fact that we crossfade the real world values in the cues.

If you are fading from yellow (full yellow flag in) to congo (full cyan and magenta flags in) using CMY, you will fade through a point where all 3 flags are halfway in, producing a bland gray. This colour couldn't even be mixed using HS. If you do this same fade in HS, both colours are at full saturation, so the hue value will be faded which moves you around the colour wheel through some other fully saturated colours.

It's a matter of personal preference and I've found that there some crossfades I feel CMY look better for and there are some where I prefer to use HS.

As a few people have already mentioned, only the HS colour space will allow you to take full advantage of colour calibrated fixtures. Marty offered a good workaround if you prefer to use CMY crossfades, but it may limit some of the functionality with other operations. If you are working with CMY values and you clone parameters to a different fixture type, it will copy the CMY values and you may see a slightly different colour rather than taking advantage of the colour calibration as it would if you cloned HS values.
  • Hey Tom,

Something Dan mentioned to me makes a lot of sense, and I don't know if he's logged it already as result of his involvement with BETA versions....

Can there be a CMY fade path for color values in cues? Just like start, end, linear, etc. paths.:notworthy:
  • Oh yeah....

Cormac,

One habit that took me a while to break going from Hog-2 to Hog-3 was using that wonderful new "Merge" button right next to "Record" for updates.

So now its:

Cue-#-Merge-Enter.......DONE!! for a chosen master of course..otherwise add List-# to that syntax.

Rather than the two ways of doing via touchscreen on the 2 (which was always fun since calibration was always a bit dodgy on the 2)
    i.e. Record-#/#-Enter...wait...hit selection on touch screen, and pray it's not the one next to the one you wanted.

No more of that thanks!! Although that method/syntax will still work.
Related