Nasty freeze of internal DP8k and desktop

After issues like this last week and the weeks prior I have created a new show file on two occasions and imported what I need via show merge. Same issues persist. This has repeated on Hog4, two separate road hog 4's, and today for the first time hogpc. Here is today's example.

- I turn on the Road Hog4. 2.7.0. There is no external DP.
- I turn on Hog4pc to run not as a server and connect to show over network
- I try to run a cue from a cue stack and the stack still shows ... with the cue I tried to run under it.
- P-O-Back reveals the DP8k has stopped responding.
- I restart the DP8k process.

- I make a couple of changes in the programmer. Then merge into cue. Then desktop becomes completely unresponsive.

P-O-Backspace shows nothing abnormal. I restart Desktop. Everything is functioning properly. But the two fixtures I had in the programmer prior to the desktop restart are in a phantom programmer still. I select those fixtures at their values, then knock them out, and all is fine again.

This has happened twice today, twice yesterday, and sporadically in the past few weeks.

Any ideas? I don't see anything strange in the log, not that I'm an expert in debugging.
  • Another quick addendum. The reason I created the newest show file yesterday is because I would turn on the show file and several of my fixtures would have grey and white slashes through it, and other fixtures with sub intensities would show only their fixture numbers in output and I would have no control over them. A separate issue, but perhaps related.
  • I've seen this phantom editor many times recently. Most recently with 2.7.0.

It initiates randomly, sometimes after opening a cue to edit, sometimes just after grbbing a bunch of fixtures in the programmer.

I'll update or record into a cue. Clear.
    Programmer is empty. Close every window. Output shows the previous fixtures with their previous programmer values. Click "Source" and fixtures show their source is "editor".
    Every Cuelist window is closed, Desktop is empty, programmer is empty. Hit Clear
    Playing cues won't clear them.
    Only way to clear the fixture is to reselect them, touch all the frozen parameters, then 'clear'.

I also start a new show and then merge in my template palettes, views, groups, Kinds and think it has to do with merging. I'm going to test this weekend with a New Show from scratch and not merge anything.
    Also, I believe I've only noticed it on shows with an external DP8K.

By the way, this is a new template file that I created in Hog 4 OS (early version). I was seeing lots of peculiarities with my Hog 3 template that I converted to Hog 4 in the early OS versions when we could do that, so I recreated with Hog 4OS.

• Interesting. I need to do some testing on this too. Seems like we have some similar symptoms. I also merged from a show file going back as far as 2.3.0.
  • A little bit of an update today. Things are getting worse. I am going to spend my morning creating an entirely new show file and starting from scratch. Which will obviously take quite a while. Not going to merge anything in from older show files.

On a Road Hog4 - Today, the first thing I wanted to do was view a cue to make sure I was choosing the right base look from the day before. An error came up, I wish I had taken a picture of it or written down what it was but I was in a hurry. It said something along the lines of Cannot retrieve object array and I remember "ID 110" being part of the error. I then did the following:

- Restarted playback (wasn't frozen, just seemed like a thing to do)
    - After this, several desk channels had grey and white lines through them, and the coop lights I had weren't showing sub intensities and I had no control over them.
    - I logged off the show, restarted the console, chose the same show file and the greyed out channels persisted.
    - I joined show with different console number and running server on a hog4pc I run as a backup
    - Everything seemed great on the hog4pc.
    - Logged off the show on the Road Hog, then clicked Join show.
    - Everything seemed fine on the Road Hog now. Channels weren't greyed out.
    - Played back a cue, DP did not respond (internal). Just a ... on the cuestack
    - P-O-Back and restarted DP8k
    - All is fine now. Afraid to sneeze on it.

I can't afford the time to go through this every day. And every day it gets more complicated. I have tried several show files and 3 separate consoles. At this point I have to assume the merging in of the elements of the old show file is causing this so I am going to start from scratch.

Any one else having similar issues?
  • ALso, a few weeks ago I was running an external DP. Never had an issue with the external DP, but the Internal DP on the console would not respond often. Wasn't a big deal for me at the time running a second DP.
  • Please send me your show file, mgraham at barco dot com.
    If you have a selection and your desktop crashes you will need to reselect the units, touch and then hit clear to regain fixture control.