Artnet Universes

cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
Hi,
Wondering if anyone could tell me if the direct onboard art-net output of the Hog 4 range of consoles is limited by hardware of software?
I understand the Hog 4 Fullsize is capped at 16 universes and the Full Boar at 12 but wondering if there is any possibility this could be increased easily in line with other consoles in a similar price range?
With several fixture manufactures creating fixtures that have very high channel counts in full expanded mode I'm thinking this situation is only going to continue in an upward only direction.

Regards C

Comments

• LeggyLeggy Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2014
    I'm curious, which other consoles do you mean? Chamsys is the only one I can think of that natively outputs more universes over artnet, and they are capped at 64 total as they don't do outboard processing.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    Hi Leggy,
    I may be incorrect but I believe the Avo Titan Mobile/Expert can output up to 16 universes direct from the console and this would be closer to a Hog Nano console or perhaps less powerful?
    And yes I am thinking of the Chamsys range.

Best C
    Interesting, it seems you are correct about Titan mobile, that does seem a lot of native artnet for a budget solution. Their top of the range Sapphire Touch also has the same though so it seems more of an argument for expanding the Nano rather than the flagship console.
    I understand your point regarding modern fixtures requiring more channels, however I also understand manufacturers having to limit the console and sell expansion to maintain an income and I'm not sure how else they would do it. Maybe limit by fixture quantity rather than universes?
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    Hello Cormacjack,

This is something we limit in the software.
    I'm sorry but I do not believe we will ever change what we currently allow.
  • stagelitesstagelites Registered User, Hog Beta
    I would love to see 6 out of the hedgehog. Seems like I always need 5.
    I would be willing to pay for the ability to have the hedgehogN do 8 universes. Or Maybe allow the hedgehog to run at least 6 artnet/DMX with a superwidget installed. It feels a little funky that a widget I purchased cant be completely supported, but I can run two on my PC with free software.
    It would be great to be able to buy a dongle to increase total artnet output on any console
    I agree, but I think that having a 4 port superwidget should be a dongle. I purchased it and would love to be able to use all 4 ports.

HogPC which is free software supports 8 DMX/Artnet. I would love it if it would support the super widget (Old and New)

I know that the purpose is to sell consoles. I have been buying. The hedgehog is a perfect fly desk. The RH and larger just simply are too big at times. Currently I network my console and a PC to get the desired count. I would like it if that was not the case.

My feeling is that they should support the super widget for at least 6 universes.
  • jkemblejkemble Registered User, HES Staff
    One issue to consider is the processing capability of the consoles. We can support 2-4 universes on a HedgeHog without much difficulty, but increasing that amount may run into CPU limitations, which would mean lower DMX refresh rates, etc. The larger consoles have more memory and faster CPUs, and can support more universes accordingly. We allow more universes on Hog 4 PC since we don't control the hardware, and don't want to limit users with powerful PCs. But you can run Hog 4 PC on a slow PC and can run into CPU and memory limits.
    Thanks, I totally understand about hitting memory and CPU limits. I just think that if it was possible to hit 6 art net it would be great. I am usually doing shows on the hedgehog that need 5 universes. If it would completely support a super widget it would be great.