Color Wheel #2 issue

FortLCFortLC Registered User
edited May 2014 in Misc. Discussion
My studio spot 575's keeps flashing "HOME - CLR1 - Err"
then points towards the ballast after striking up. However color wheel 1 tests fine and color wheel 2 gets stuck between two frames. I have tried using compressed air to blow off the wheel censors but it is still having the problem.
Could it be the censor chip? Please help.

Comments

• Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited May 2014
    likely the motor,
    that is usually the cause of the issue in studio 575.
  • FortLCFortLC Registered User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion,however the entire head assembly was replaced two years ago and should be fine. Any other ideas of whats causing it?
    edited May 2014
    Honestly, It easily could still be motors, after 2 years.

That being said, you can rule out the sensors, as if wheel 1 homes OK, that shouldn't be the problem. (You can test the sensor using the test menu)

Is it physically getting stuck on something?

How many fixtures are exhibiting this problem? 1? or more?
    Is it possible the fixture is set to CMY instead of color wheels?

Try swapping the logic card to to a working fixture, and see if the problem chases the card or fixture.

My gut still says its a motor. (I have hundreds if not thousands of hours working on and maintaining Studio 575)
    edited May 2014
    Ok thanks I'll try it out and see if anything will work, is there a way i could test to see if it is the motor?
    edited May 2014
    Usually when they fail, they get rough.
    but the added leverage when the wheel is installed makes it hard to tell usually.

With the fixture powered off, try to move the wheel by hand, and see if it moves freely, or if there is more resistance than the working wheel.

if they feel the same, remove the wheels and gears, and try again. I would expect the bad motor to have more of a "scratchy" feeling.
    edited May 2014
    Ok so I just finished swapping the heads and testing the motors out on each light and I now know for a fact that it isn't the motors and that it has to be something with the logic board itself because its not the motors or any of the chips I tested. Is there a way to get a new logic board?
    edited May 2014
    sure,
    they run around $800-1000 from any high end dealer, or Lightparts.com

That being said, Both will also attempt to repair your board, for quite a bit less $

Did you swap the logic card from a working fixture, and that fixed the problem?