Fader Resolution

Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
When using the masters for a manual fade, I find it a bit steppy. This is on a Hog 4, but I asked somebody else to test their RH4 and the same results are seen.

I checked in the DMX window and I very slowly and carefully faded out a fixture at 100%. I counted just 75 steps of resolution to reach from 255 to zero, which would explain why I am seeing the steppyness in shows.

My question is, is this a limitation of the hardware, or could this resolution be boosted to 255 steps, to smooth out manual fades?

Many thanks

Colin

Comments

• inthe128inthe128 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2014
    Colin asked me to try this on a non motor fader console RH4 and I see the same thing as he does
  • ed the beamboted the beambot Registered User
    edited April 2014
    I find this to be true on the Full Boar as well. A bit aggravating actually.
  • Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited April 2014
    Is this a hardware or software limitation?
  • shandy666shandy666 Registered User
    edited April 2014
    i find it on H4 PC its very embarrassing trying to fade out leds smoothly
  • MarcoMarco Registered User
    edited May 2014
    Yes, I think the Resolution of the Faders are 8bit. The same is on the H3 Software.
    Why that???

Marco
    edited May 2014
    I looked at the specs for the "Penny and Giles" faders that I believe are being used on the desks and to my limited understanding I think they are analog faders. Does that mean the resolution is being defined somewhere else? If its software, can the fader resolution be increased in a future update?
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2014
    Marco, I think the resolution we are getting is way below 8 bit. Surely we should have 255 steps, whereas we get about 75 steps.

Interestingly, I looked at the faders in the hardware test and there they move in single increments, 0 to 255. When fading in a show file, they move in increments of 4 or 5.

So it's clearly a software limitation currently, and not a hardware issue, which is great. Hopefully it can be improved to give us 255 steps and smooth manual fades.

Could this be logged as a request please?

It's such an apparent issue, particularly with LED, but even noticeable with a tungsten fixture on a slow fade.
    edited May 2014
    It's even more noticable with the new fader scaling options.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2014
    Buzz313th;74969 said:
    It's even more noticable with the new fader scaling options.
    What fixtures are you using?
    Do you see the steppyness at the fixture across the whole dimming range?

Do this test,
    Bring up your fixture up on a fader
    Open the DMX Output screen
    Set the Grand Master at 10% or so.
    Now run the fader up and down and you should see it resolve individual steps.
    While doing this is the light output from the fixture steppy or not?

An even better test would need a mover that has 16 bit Pan/Tilt.
    If you have one then do this using the Pan,
    Change the default to -270deg (Patch, Edit Fixtures, typically it is 0deg)
    Record a cue to an empty fader with the Pan at +270deg (only touch the Pan)
    Set that cuelist to Main Fader = IPCB Fader.
    Now manually Pan the fixture using the fader.
    How steppy is it?
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the input, but the test is not really necessary as the results of moving the fader are clearly shown in the DMX window and already mentioned above.

The simple answer is yes, the steppyness is visible across the whole range. A manual fade is moving in steps greater than 1% and this is visible throughout the full range when trying to fade slowly, but of course it is more noticeable towards the bottom end.

Cheers

Colin
    edited May 2014
    To clarify, this is visible on generic fixtures, with high quality dimmers. It is not a fixture issue. However, LED fixtures of course show the issue in an even more pronounced manor.
    edited May 2014
    It is on all Fixtures. Just look at the DMX Output and try to fade a Dim.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2014
    Firewood1;74976 said:
    Thanks for the input, but the test is not really necessary as the results of moving the fader are clearly shown in the DMX window and already mentioned above.

The simple answer is yes, the steppyness is visible across the whole range. A manual fade is moving in steps greater than 1% and this is visible throughout the full range when trying to fade slowly, but of course it is more noticeable towards the bottom end.

Cheers

Colin
    I'm pretty confident this was not on the III's, so it sounds like it is limited to the 4's.

And while I'm curious what's going on, it really needs to be answered by HE:poke:.

While we're waiting...
    My thought on the Pan test is that it separates hardware and some of the core software and tells us if it is more about the Intensity channels or does if affect all parameters.
    edited May 2014
    It is also in H3.
  • dennisnaehrdennisnaehr Registered User
    edited June 2014
    No Reply from HES on this????
  • jkemblejkemble Registered User, HES Staff
    We've confirmed the issue and are working on a fix for this. Not sure when we'll release it, but if all goes well it'll be fixed in the next release.