Security code

jaguinacjaguinac Registered User
Good morning, hope somebody help me about the next issue, our full boar 4 is asking for a security code at start up, and no body knows any code, and the factory code doesn't work, is there any way to unlock it?

Thanks

Javier

Comments

• ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    Default is 1234

There are 9999 other possible options..... :aargh4:

Track down the previous operator and threaten him! :p
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited February 2014
    If you can get it networked with another console, you can unlock it from there. If it has been locked but not powered down and still has a show open for example, this may work. If two consoles were already networked and one was locked, you can unlock from the other console.

If not a Full Install of the software will get it but it will erase all of the shows on the hard drive.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    That's interesting Mitch. Are you saying that if one console is locked, you can log into the show from another console, or tablet, and then change the password settings to unlock the server console?
    edited February 2014
    I wasn't clear, I apologize. Mainly for example if two consoles happened to already be networked and one was locked for some reason, you can unlock it form the other.

If the locked console had a show open and the settings were set to allow another console to network onto it, you may be able to get it that way as well.

I am not saying you can easily network onto every locked console with another console and unlock it. It is not a reliable way around the issue.
  • Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited February 2014
    Im confused... How do you prompt a console to startup into the password screen?

JB
    edited February 2014
    Hi Jeff, starting on page 58 of the manual explains the console locking feature.

http://www.highend.com/support/controllers/documents/H4_manual.pdf
    edited February 2014
    Mitch wrote: »
    Hi Jeff, starting on page 58 of the manual explains the console locking feature.

http://www.highend.com/support/controllers/documents/H4_manual.pdf

Thanks Mitch,

I am aware of how to lock the desk when it's powered on and currently in a showfile, but the OP mentioned that when he launches a showfile the console asks for a user password during startup and I am unaware that H4 has the ability to prompt for a user password on show launch. I always assumed that regardless of the password set, that the console will always powerup and or log into a show unlocked.

JB
    edited February 2014
    If the console is powered down while locked, when you try to open the show again it will come to the Unlock Code window. Give it a try and see.
    edited February 2014
    Ok, I see now.. But how do you power the desk down properly when the desk is locked? Only way I could power it down is by killing the main. Doesn't that potentially risk a corrupt show file?

JB
    edited February 2014
    Mitch wrote: »
    If the console is powered down while locked, when you try to open the show again it will come to the Unlock Code window. Give it a try and see.

The Manual states: If you forget the passcode and are locked out of the console you will need to powercycle the
    console and relaunch the show in order to regain access to the show. Lock pin codes are stored
    per show and per console.
    edited February 2014
    Hi Scott, understood, but if you try it you see it does not.

Hi Jeff, to quote Forrest Gump, "stuff happens". If someone does just turn off the power or someone walks by and trips over the power cord or if the power source for the console goes down for example.
    edited February 2014
    Ok guys sorry for the confusion. We have done some testing here and occasionally power cycling the console and leaving it off for 10 seconds or more will get the console back but I am seeing more often that it does not. We are looking into it.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    Good to know.

FYI, I tried locking my console and then logging in with my tablet(client). I logged in and went to the network window, went to the settings for the server(locked) console and viewed or even changed the password successfully.
    REQUEST -

I would like to request that the console (when locked) to relaunch into an unlocked state, as it states in the manual.
    Currently, it relaunches into a locked state and the only way to unlock without code is to reinstall the software and erase the show file(s).

I've had 2 trouble calls in the past month, from operators locking console when going to lunch, and returning to find that the default had been changed by a previous show. Our consoles move around the country quite a bit to lots of different operators with varying degrees of ability. Currently, you have to remember to dig into the settings to make sure the code is still the default before you lock.

Actually my preference would be like the Hog2 style, where you got a prompt every time you locked, (the Yamaha digital audio boards are like this too). This seems more intuitive.

Also, I've seen people go to hit 'quit' and fat-finger it and accidentally hit 'Lock' right next to it.

Wondering about other people's thoughts on this?
  • chetan16inchetan16in Registered User
    I strongly believe that - console should prompt to enter password each time u want to lock.
    and boots up in an unlocked state if u have forgotten your password.
    - to avoid any last moment confusion before show starts.

Please HighEnd Systems . look into it and make life easier for Operators.

Thank You.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    Yes..agreed. Had someone lock a console and not check before hand. That's when we found out it reloads to a locked state. The trick I came up with is to network in a Hog4PC client and connect to the show. You can then go into Console 1's network settings to see the code and unlock the primary.

• MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    A master code like in good old Hog 2 days would solve all problems
  • cmonkcmonk Registered User, Hog Beta
    By implementing a master code you would completely negate the point of having a code at all surely as all people would need to do is have a quick 'google' (other search engines are available) and obtain the master code.

My personal opinion is maybe users should check the console code before they lock the console. I personally like the idea that if the console reboots then it reboots the showfile into a locked state. It doesn't stop you using the console, you can launch a new show, or launch the backup of the show (you did save a backup didn't you!) with no problems.

Colin
    Agreed, I wish just that particular show file was locked upon reboot, not the entire console.
    I also agree that users *should* check the console code prior to locking.... but you have to know where to look; it's buried under network settings, not Control Panel or Prefs. I think it makes sense there, since it's 'per console' but not intuitive.
    Also the 'Lock' button is very visible AND right next to 'Quit'. There isn't any prompt or alert when you touch 'Lock'.... it's locked immediately with whatever code the previous user set on a different show file.
    I really think it should be per showfile and console and not a global console pin.
  • cmonkcmonk Registered User, Hog Beta
    Maybe the addition of a popup before actual locking with a Yes / No option could solve the accidental locking issue?
    Pretty much the same method as the 'quit' function?
    In the short term, yes, I think a popup alert should be implemented. With a warning and directions/path to check or change pin.
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    Surely the simple way (from an operators point of view) to resolve this is to adopt the "hotel safe" way of locking the console.

Enter a code to lock the console. The entered code remains on the screen for a couple of seconds, then disappears. Enter the same code to unlock.

Colin, I completely agree that it's the best. It's the Hog 2 style, that I asked for earlier in this thread.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    FYI - if your show is coming up "locked" after a power cycle, if you launch an new show, then log off and re-launch the original "locked" show it will launch into it "unlocked".
    Also PIN codes are stored PER CONSOLE (as with all "Control Panel" settings) and are lost/reset to defaults after a re-image. Codes are not stored per show.
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    We are releasing v2.7.0 today and this issue should be resolved.
    If you forget the pass-code and are locked out of the console you will need to power-cycle the console and relaunch the show in order to regain access to the show.