Bug Report - Hog 4 PC: Can't move/resize directories except GROUP or POSITION

This problem only seems to be occurring in Hog 4 PC. It does not occur on our Full Boars. Have not heard of it on Road Hog 4 and we have not yet had a chance to test it on Hedge Hog 4.

Using Hog PC v. 2.1.2 on Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and Windows 8.1 and all of them exhibit the same issue.

Whenever your select a directory window on the left screen/window in normal Hog PC mode and then try to move or resize that directory Hog 4 PC selects the GROUP directory on the right screen/window and moves or resizes the GROUP directory instead of your selection. If you close the GROUP directory and try again, it selects the POSITION directory and moves or resizes POSITION instead of your selection. The only work-around is to close both the GROUP and POSITION directories and work with the directories on the left window/screen (or external monitor if connected) and then your selections are maintained when you select an option from the toolbar on the top of the right screen/window.

Again this is in normal (full) Hog 4 PC mode. It seems that whenever you select an option from the top toolbar in the right screen/window Hog 4 PC automatically selects the first directory open on the right screen/window and applies the scroll/move/resize/focus command to that directory instead of the one you have selected on the left window/screen or external monitor.

Any help you can provide with this issue would be greatly appreciated. It's been a real nuisance for our Nano users particularly.

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • Yes, I saw the same behavior a few days ago in 2.1.2 in Windows7.
    If I remember, the 'unlock' windows toolbar button also seemed broken.

Was trying to repo a different problem, so didn't get a chance to investigate further.
  • Travis,
    By any chance were you using Windows on a Mac under bootcamp? Do you see this every time you launch same show on H4PC? What about if you launch a New Show or a different show?

The way I was able to reproduce this behavior was running in Win 7 (SP1) on a Mac i7 under Boot Camp. Starting a show that was already on the hard drive performed normally, but if I expanded a show from USB drive, the 'Focus' button would break.

Still trying to get it to break the 'Move/Resize' and 'Unlock' buttons like I saw a few times previously.

I can't get any of the above behaviors to reproduce on my Dell i7 Windows 7 (SP1) laptop. Tried with new shows, loading existing shows, and expanding from USB.
  • This exact thing is happening to us at my shop as well. We have a mac mini we are running as back-up console in a network setting. It has all of the mac maverick updates and a new copy of windows 8.1 pro running from bootcamp. It is set to auto-run windows from power on. As i was setting the windows it wouldn't let me move them around like you said. I thought it was the new touch screen we got, used a mouse same thing, but then remembered how many problems hog has and blamed hog... Since it is just a back up console their weren't to many views to set up and i managed to yell at it loud enough to get the few views I did need for if or shall I say WHEN the hog 4 crashes it will keep the vales long enough for the hog to pull it's self back together.
    I've tried installing other 2.0 versions and same thing.
    I am getting the same issues no matter if i start a new show, load a show created on a full boar via USB , or load a show from a networked full boar. It still won't let me move he groups and other directory windows freely

I am not having any of these issues from my asus laptop in place of the mac mini in the set up.
  • Patrick,
    how was the show put on the Mac Mini? Was it a new show created on the Mac or was it on a USB and then opened from Hog File browser?

On my Mac Pro, I avoid this my copying the show file from USB to hard drive FIRST, then opening show from within Hog, rather than copying/expanding show from USB within the Hog File Browser.

I'd be interested to see if this is related.
  • I have not tried that.
    I did create a back-up copy of a show file on the mac and load that back-up copy and same issue. Haven't gone from hog4>usb>mac hard drive> load on hog4pc
  • Hi Scott,

No using a Mac at all. I have seen this since day 1 of Hog 4 PC on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8.

Have not done additional troubleshooting to see if it happens on all shows or just selected shows. However it appears that it does it in new shows for regular uses on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Travis
  • Hey guys

We recently fixed an issue related to focus handling on some Windows PCs that may have caused this. In that case the exact issue was related to the onscreen front panel not responding to mouse clicks if there are no other windows open inside Hog PC. In other words, if you start a new show and immediately move faders on the front panel (without first opening any windows) then they would not respond. Opening any windows would then allow the faders to respond properly. That issue should follow this focus problem you're describing, ie a given PC should exhibit both issues or neither. If that's the case then I expect the fix will address both problems. The fix is included in Hog version 2.2.0 which will be available soon. Once 2.2 is out please let us know if it addresses the issue.

Thanks!
  • Thanks for the update and your work. I look forward to the release. I will spread the word to our customers and also be in touch with feedback after the release.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • I've had the same problems on a roadhog3. Seems to occur when loading a show from a none windows USB stick. Now have a dedicated hog3 fat formatted usb stick and never had the problem gain