Need Help Creating Strobe Control For Colorforce 72's on Road Hog 4

Hey,
First up let me just say that I'm not a real lighting guy, I'm an AV tech who does lights so I apologise for the holes in my knowledge of lighting!

We have been using Hog 4's at my work for a while now and I'm trying to work out a way to make our Chroma Q Color FOrce 72's strobe randomly.

I'm running the lights in Mode 4 which means each fixture has 12 cells of RGBA so with 7 fixtures we have 84 cells in total and this seems to gives us the best control overall.

I tried to edit the patch in the fixture builder and just add an intensity strobe control to each DMX channel and assigning the control as rate instead of shutter, however this just acted like an intensity control and didn't make anything strobe.

I'm sure there's a million ways to do this so hopefully a real lighting guy can help!

Cheers

Nick
  • Nick,

What fixture profile are you using?

For now I'll assume you're using the RGB+A from the Generic File.

Select your fixtures.
    Set Intensity at 50%
    Double tap the Effect key.
    The first Column is Table.
    In the row Intensity double click the Table column cell and select Step.
    Press the Effect key once to bring up the parameters on the encoder wheels

Adjust the first one for your strobe rate.

Now to get the Random,
    Hold the Fan key and select Shuffle in the right monitor.
    Keep holding Fan and dial the third encoder called Effects Offset

You may have to play with it a couple times to get the feel it creates.

Hope this helps.
  • Hey Chris!
    Thanks very mauch for your quick reply, I was thinking it was something along the lines of this to create an effect but I hadn't tried the "step" curve yet.. It all worked fairly well except fanning the spread paramateres didn't make it strobe randomly as it only saw the paramater as 5 through 250 even though on it showed the spread had been shuffled above the encoder wheel!

I ended up just applying this effect at different levels to each cyc (so grouping 12 cells) and then saving that as an effect which works well ebough!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!