RGB values transferable to CMY instead os snapping to zero.

bockingbocking Registered User
When using generic RGB fixtures would it be possible for a colour set via intensity RGB to be transferable to the CMY wheels by adjusting them - instead of snapping to zero?

I was given a long list of RGB values as 0>100% as programmed on a different system. I've not found an easy way to get these specified RGB value's onto a colour palette.
Thanks!

Comments

• LeggyLeggy Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2014
    Remember that RGB is just CMY inverted.
    So if your value for R is 47%, it would correspond to C at 53%.
    G at 100% would be M at 0%
    B at 22% would be Y at 78%

etc.....
  • bockingbocking Registered User
    edited January 2014
    Would it not be better for the software to offer the CMY alternative if you touch an encoder, or vice versa?
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2014
    RGB is setup as an intensity parameter.
    CMY and HS as Color.
    These are different kinds. And that is the reason why it snaps.

This has something to do with the general philosophy of real-world-parameters the HOG OS is using.
    In general the library handles this conversion for you and only gives you CMY values although you are using RGB-Fixtures (because most people are used to CMY)
    HS is a color model that works in different worlds: like print, graphics etc.
    Thats why I use it the most often.
  • bockingbocking Registered User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Lorenz, Your right about RGB being an Intensity parameter. Why does that mean it needs to snap to zero; why not instantly convert to CMY and dump the RGB?
    Going back to my problem I was given a long list of RGB values - So to get these into HOG 4 I need to manually invert each number to CMY?? I'm suggesting it would be better if the console looked after the sums!