cyberlight sv ballasts are over heating

bturesonbtureson Registered User
edited March 2014 in Misc. Discussion
So we are still running the the cyberlight sv's and I am having troubles with keeping the lamps lit in them. I completely rebuilt on of my cybers last july replacing; the power ballast with a brand new one, a new capacitator, new ignitor, new thermal cap, and a new lamp door with lamp. Unfortunately I still have had troubles with this unit and I notice the ballast has already turned darker and looks burnt in some areas. Is the normal? Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited January 2014
    All mine are pretty dark, and run fine, so I'll call some discoloration normal.

About the only thing that can cause these to overdraw is not having the voltage tap set correctly for the line voltage coming in . . .

- Tim
  • bturesonbtureson Registered User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you that does help, is there any other ideas you might have into keeping my units lit?
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited January 2014
    What problems are you specifically having? I have had a couple that have lamped off at times, and the problems have typically been the logic card, not the power system. Fresh power supply caps, and in one case, a processo clock section rebuild havegotten them solid again.

All in all, keeping them clean so they cool well is the major PM item.

- Tim
  • DONLPDONLP Registered User
    edited March 2014
    If the logic board is shutting the lamp off you can try disconnecting the 14pin interconnect cable and cleaning the header pins on the Logic and PS boards with contact cleaner or fine sandpaper. These pins oxidize over time and sometimes the "lamp is on" signal does not make it to the Logic board, and the lamp circuit shuts the lamp off. Look on your PS board and see if TH1 is stuffed just to the right of BR1. This is an 85°C resetting thermal switch in series with lamp enable. When it opens, lamp shuts off and everything else keeps going. In later versions of Cyber PS this is replaced with a jumper wire, or no ohm resistor, as in the SV it had an annoying habit of shutting the lamp off. It was determined the mains thermal breaker above the lamp socket was sufficient to kill the lamp if the fan fails, and the lamp circuit locks on. The Cyberlight SV is "thermally challenged" relative to ambient operating temperature, to be polite....