Update Button when programming cues

I am wondering why there are inconsistencies when trying to update a cue.

Sometimes, I will be playing a cuelist, and I will stop on a certain cue that I want to edit. I will change some colors, gobos, etc. Then I click the UPDATE botton. The Auto-Update screen pops up, and I check on the cue I am trying to update.

I then hit the CLEAR button, and sometimes everything is fine, and other times all changes are not recorded.

On a similar note, sometimes a cue from a different Master is the only Auto-Update option I have. Meaning that the cue that I currently am on, is not even visible and selectable in the Auto-Update box. Frustrating that I cannot update the cue at times.

Comments

• shandy666shandy666 Registered User
    edited January 2014
    I have had the same problem !!
    sometimes I have to merge it instead
    very annoying bug
  • FlyingPigPhotographyFlyingPigPhotography Registered User
    edited January 2014
    That sort of makes me feel better, knowing it's a bug, but that makes things doubly hard for a newby like me who's just learning. I'm thinking I'm probably doing things wrong, but then sometimes it works.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2014
    The reason you may not be seeing the Cue List you want to update, when you use the Update key, may be that the fixture(s) that you are trying to add are new to that cue. If those particular fixtures you have in the programmer were never part of any recorded cue before, then the Update key will only show the last Cue List recorded as an option to send them to.

Basically, Record, Merge, and Update all do the same thing, they just do it differently.

-Record can create a new Cue or Scene, but there are options when using Record to Inset, Merge, or Replace the Cue.

-Merge is really the dumbest of the three options, but its my favorite. It relies on you to tell it where you want the values in the programmer to go. Merge, 2, Enter will add the fixtures in the programmer to Cue 2 of the Choosen Master. If you try to Merge a Cue that doesn't exist, the console will ask if you want to create that Cue number.

-Update is the option most use for when you have many different fixtures in the programmer that all need to be updated across multiple Cue Lists, or Palettes. Update knows where that fixture(s) is already working and updates its values into the proper place. Update is also the best option for when you are in a later cue and you are not sure which of the previous cues the values are stored in. So if Channel 4 was originally recorded in Cue 3 and you are sitting in Cue 12, but you want to change the value of Channel 4, Track Backwards will make sure that those new values are not updated into Cue 12, but rather tracked backwards and stored into Cue 3.
    edited January 2014
    I understand this but you change information in a cue hit update and enter but when you clear programmer info has not updated !! it happens intermittently but regularly enough to be annoying it is a bug
  • Tnsquint1Tnsquint1 Registered User
    edited January 2014
    From the earlier description it sounds like you have more than one master active. If you happen to be in cue 1/12 (fader 1, cue 12), you change colors on some fixtures from red to blue and hit update, the pop-up window opens and does not give you an option for updating 1/12. Instead it gives you an option for updating fader 5 cue 3. That is because the color information is actually over on fader 5. The console is asking you if you want to update the cue you have, in fact changed. Let's assume you thought this was odd (understandable in the moment) and instead opted to merge the color change into 1/12. Problem solved...except you now potentially have issues jumping between lists. Also, what happens if the cuelist on fader 5 has a higher priority set. You will not see the change. Just some thoughts.
    edited January 2014
    no only one master active and it says its updated but does not
    several other ops in film industry have found this same bug
  • Tnsquint1Tnsquint1 Registered User
    edited January 2014
    shandy666;72681 said:
    no only one master active and it says its updated but does not
    several other ops in film industry have found this same bug
    Copy that. I was just wondering why it was that the current cue wasn't an option in the update window. That would be indicative of something else being active or, at least it should be indicative if that.

Two quick suggestions when having those kinds of issues would be:

A.) check your output window and select SOURCES. Occasionally you will discover there is another cue list or scene running or perhaps a hidden editor.

B.) store a view that is a CLOSE ALL view. If there is an editor open but buried under another window, this will most assuredly fix that problem.

None of this may apply in your situation.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2014
    Andy,

I know what you are referring to. I have seen this before. Are you seeing it with Spacelight or Image85 fixtures?
    edited February 2014
    scott it happens with desk channels and fixtures but it is not regular
  • MtomaselliMtomaselli Registered User
    edited February 2014
    The "Update" issue has been around for a long time. It happens with anything you try to update...hit update and sometimes nothing is updated. This must of been logged as a bug many times?? Been happening since the first HOG3 software release...
  • LaLaLindyLightingLaLaLindyLighting Registered User
    edited May 2014
    This just happened to me for maybe the 3rd time total on a show I've been on for about 2 months. I started my day, loaded up my cue list I use for the set we are on. The only other thing I did was test out a quick chase I had built on a different master and then released it. Then I brought up some desk channels that were not on and hit Update. I verified that I was updating to the proper cue and hit Enter. Then I cleared the Programmer and they went out again. So I tried to Update again and got the same result. I did it a third time with Merge and they stayed in the cue that way.
  • LeggyLeggy Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2014
    Merge is always a more reliable way to do this.
    Would be good to see this fixed.
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    Next time you see this can you back up to the previous cue and then play into the cue you just updated?
    I would like to know if the data is there but we just did not push it to the node or if the data never got updated.
    I have not been able to recreate this in the lab.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    TEST