Small pixel mapping

David KromDavid Krom Registered User
edited February 2014 in Hog 4 OS Software Discussion
is there in the next update a pixel mapping or what are the plans?
it will be useful even if you have only 20 sunstrips or led fixtures
the video you do with a media server but for those little things very handy:)

Comments

• price4192price4192 Registered User
    edited January 2014
    I think everyone on this board would add a "+1" to your question. Haha!
    Personally, I've heard both YES and NO when asking if there are plans for a pixel mapper.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2014
    The request is logged but there is no timeline added.
    There is some other important stuff they are working on.
  • stagelitesstagelites Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    I sure hope they implement pixel mapping. I love the Hog but pixel mapping on the MA or Chamsys allows me to do quickly effects and visuals that are just too cumbersome on the Hog.

This is a feature that I hope they implement very soon. Other high end consoles support it. I think that this should be a priority. I am actually disappointed that it is not yet a reality on the desk.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    Just a question:
    How large are the arrays we are talking about here?
    Are you talking about some bitmaps that get animated? Running movies?

When I need to do pixel-mapping I always prefer a media-server. Because most of the times 8 or more universes are used.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited February 2014
    Well the full sized Hog4 has a second internal HDD that is currently unused as well as an eSATA port on the back.....all with the idea of bringing video files into the desk to be able to play across a pixel-map. (None of the other H4 desks have these hardware features).

I'm sure it is being worked on, but as Michael said in another thread.....who knows when it will actually be implemented in the software.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited February 2014
    IMHO, any serious pixel mapping should be done on its own dedicated CPU. Leave the CPU in the control desk for stable latency free show control.
  • LeggyLeggy Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    I personally think pixel mapping in a console is massively over rated.
    As Marc says, with a large array of fixtures it is better to use a media server, and with a smaller amount of fixtures I think just the effects engine with good use of grouping and buddying is far more effective. I can think up a look and then create it exactly in seconds within the console. Using this I have far more control over what the fixtures are doing than just throwing content at them, which with most set ups just gives a random look, which can be replicated with the effects engine very easily.
  • stagelitesstagelites Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2014
    I used to agree regarding the effects engine. Then I worked with some guys on some shows who did some effects using pixel mapping that while not impossible to do with the hog, would have taken a significantly longer time to implement.

I agree that some of the effects that people design look random, however, I think that pixel mapping also allows some extremely accurate and complex looks to be created that cannot be done quickly using another method.
  • TmpendergrassTmpendergrass Registered User
    edited February 2014
    Pixel mapping is very useful even with a small number of fixture where you want a more "organic" effect that is very hard to achieve with the FX engine