Small issue, flash macro/command keys

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but I wanted to try something out tonight and it seems to not work as easily as I had hoped.

I'm on a RH4 with 2.1.
I am right handed, so I use the command keys to have a Play, Pause, Skip Forward and Skip Backward macros on the command keys, all four of those work fine. I also have a bump scene on fader 9 for a few pages. Rather than using my left hand for bumps, I was hoping to make a macro exactly the same way I made the main playback macros, but i'm finding it won't work like a flash.

I copied my main playback macro, changed it to key press>console>fader 1/9>flash. it doesn't work in the macro directory or in the command keys. Am I missing something? I assumed that fader 1/9 flash would work the same as my actual fader 9 flash button does. I'm hoping to find time to try it on my nano tomorrow, but I wanted to point it out in case it was a bug or if I'm just doing it wrong.
  • Does this help?

forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=15569
  • No, I had already read that post. It seems his issue was that he didn't have the scene/list set for "go on flash". I have my scenes set to that, they just won't take via macro. As I had said before, my main playback macros work just fine. I use about 10 individual bumps and keep them all on fader 9 of each individual page. So, with playback macros on 4 command keys, plus global reset, I don't have enough open keys unless I want to make more than one "page" of them. I will report back in a few hours once I can try this on my H4PC.
    EDIT:
    Just got a chance to try it again. It's the duration time(set at 0sec). So, It seems that I can't make a generic flash button the same as a main playback button in command keys. If duration is set to 0sec then it won't take. But the way I see it is I want a flash button that will activate according to how long(sometimes 3sec) or short(120 bpm bumps) I hold my command key. If it's predetermined it completely defeats the purpose of making a "global" flash command. Not a huge deal breaker, but not really useful either.
  • I dont see why it should not work.

Try this:
    Take some fixtures, at full, store as a list. Assign that list to a master and edit the times & options:
    * Fadetime for the cue: 0 sec
    * Releasetime for the list: 0 sec
    * Flashoptions: + go and +release

Assign that list to a command key
    Change to spreadsheet view for the command keys, change option for that key to Flash.

Thats it... Just tried it and it works
  • Marc,
    I actually do this for a few shows that a run. For this particular show though, we jump pages for each song. Fader 10 is each song, and fader 9 is a specific bump for that particular song. Unfortunately, I do not have enough open command keys to put them all there, that's why I wanted to make a generic fader 9 bump.

One thing I'd like to see in future versions of Hog is the ability to save command key "views". This would solve my issue. But for now, it's not a huge deal.
  • Ok.
    Got you... A general assignment is not possible. The assignments are always per cuelist and not per master
  • Is there any particular reason why not? I understand it's not a very traditional way of running cues, but I can assign play forward/backward to faders as macros, I'm not sure I understand why I can't assign a generic "fader 9 flash" without it requiring a pre programmed duration time. It seems the infrastructure is already in place mostly. Another fix for this(probably uncommon) problem would be more control of the function keys directory by saving/recalling command keys in views.
  • Ok now I fully understand.
    You are not putting a list on the command key. You put key-stroke macros on the command key.
    The reason why it does not work is that you only start that macro and the the macro executes the steps you programmed including the duration time. There is no "physical" link between the keys you programm in your keystroke macro. It is like recording your button presses including all the timing. A flash button press with 0 sec duration is doing nothing.
    I hope you understand what I mean. When you hit the command key you only tell the console to press the buttons you recorded in the macro. The press of the command key is only the GO to execute the macro
  • Yes. The left column of command keys are master play, master "pause", master skip forward and backwards(pretty much the rh3 playback for right handed people). I suppose they all work without a duration time because they are just a variation of a go command. They wouldn't require a programmed time. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • You are executing keystrokes with your macro.
    This has nothing todo with the key you press, you can also give a GO button a duration
    What is different is what the console does with this:
    A press/trigger of GO with 10 seconds duration in the macro results in 1 GO.
    A press/trigher of Flash with 10 seconds duration in the macro results in 10 sec output of the intensity. Thats why you need a duration if you want to trigger a flash button via keystroke.
    You can use a Midi-Pad and map them to the Flash, Go etc buttons.... If you want to have it work like you want it