Replacing color palettes

Tnsquint1Tnsquint1 Registered User
I would really like some way to "batch" replace color palettes in one step. Here is my thought:

Let's assume we start with 60 color palettes and they are laid out in the directory as colors 1-60. I then make duplicates of those color palettes and place them at 101-160. I make another set of duplicates at 201-260. I do all of my programming with palettes 1-60. I make changes (for whatever reason) to colors 201-260. If I need to update my master color palettes then I select colors 201-260 and MOVE them to 1-60. At this point I press REPLACE when asked. Now I have updated color palettes. The problem is REPLACE is not an option currently.

Here is why I would like this feature and how I would use it:

In the above example 101-160 is always a copy of the colors based on real world parameters and always available for reverting to nominal as it were. Colors 201-260 would be my pre-viz colors as I find that the color representations are only close and always require touch ups, sometimes major touch ups from what the computer thinks a light produces and what a light actually produces. For those who do a lot of outdoor shows in the transition hours, colors 301-360 could be your "daylight" colors. If you are starting in daylight, you start with the more pastel "daylight" palette selection and when it gets dark enough, perform a palette swap. Colors 401-460 could be colors tweaked for cameras.

Assuming one were starting with a personalized generic show file, this would be a huge time saver. Personally, if I never had to make another color palette for a fixture I use on a regular basis, I would be thrilled. But I am constantly going from pre-viz to reality and occasionally back and forth multiple times. I either have to imagine the correct color in pre-viz or perform palettes updates until I cannot see straight.

Comments

  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited December 2013
    The way I do operations like this is with Keystroke Macros.
    Except I do it for Position palettes when using moving trusses.
    I always have one set of Palettes called "Actual" for whatever position the trusses are in presently.
    All my show cues are written in reference to the "Actual" palettes.
    Then I have one set of additional palettes for each position the trusses are programmed to be in.
    Next I write Keystroke Macros to Merge or Record/Replace the info from the new truss position as it moves into the "actual" palettes. (And since I am updating positions live I also enable "Fade Changes" in the Programmer and set a 2 sec fade time for Position so the fixtures don't "snap" as they update).
    It takes a bit to Program initially depending on the number of palettes (usually about 20 in my case).
    Might be a good solution for your scenario as well.
    Hope this helps. :)
  • Tnsquint1Tnsquint1 Registered User
    edited December 2013
    Marty,
    Thanks for your reply. In your macros, do you have to replace each palette individually? I had assumed I would use keystroke macros to accomplish the task.

    Your particular idea for moving trusses is pretty intriguing. I have always just stored specific positions palettes for various truss positions. The advent of time palettes certainly helps when making adjustments to automation. I have been asking for that since the Hog 2 days.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited December 2013
    Tnsquint1 wrote: »
    do you have to replace each palette individually?

    Yes, each one is updated individually. Which is why it can take a while to program and edit the keystroke macro, but once it is done it is well worth the effort.

    You can also merge keystroke macros from show to show, so if you have the same palette structure/naming & numbering scheme you won't have to recreate it every time.

    Hope this helps. :)
  • Tnsquint1Tnsquint1 Registered User
    edited December 2013
    Marty,
    I am in show mode today but I did take a least a minute to try some things in a show copy. It appears that the syntax:

    Color 101-160 copy to color 1 replace

    Seems to work. I have a few gaps in my color palette which did confuse things a bit, but otherwise it seemed to work. Filling in the gaps with blank colors will probably solve this. The cue programming seemed to follow the newly replaced palettes. I am out if time to try it any further though.
Sign In or Register to comment.