Can Hog 4pc do this?

Hello -

Complete newbie here....I'm looking for dmx software that can be controlled from a DAW(Reaper or Live) via a midi track, that has a timeline or can be synced to backing tracks easily, has an FX generator and a visualizer. I've watched some of the training videos on Hog 4pc, which looks really cool, but REALLY deep...lol...can Hog 4pc do all of this?.....and would I just need the USB DMX Widget to do this? I really only need one universe....

Is Hog very cpu intensive?

Also can Hog 4pc be ran from parallels on a mac?

THANKS for any help....
  • Yes Hog4pc can be be triggered via midi from reaper...
    Hog4pc cannot scrub or track forewords or backwards with Midi or LTC. It can however hit Midi or LTC jump points in any time interval that you program.

Hog4pc has an FX engine, but it is not a FX generator that can auto generate FX based off of peaks and troughs of an analog or digital signal.

Hog4pc does not have an included Visualizer, but can be combined with any previz software out there that will take DMX, Artnet, Hognet or sACN.

It is not very CPU intensive, just make sure you look at the system requirements..

If you only need one universe, then just one widget would do, although I would just buy a super widget since it's a lot more bang for your buck.

I believe H4pc can be run on parellels, but it is better to have a dedicated machine to run ONLY H4pc from which should be a PC.
  • Thanks for the reply!.......by FX generator I meant something that helps to easily program moving head chases, also how is syncing to music done with MTC/LTC?.....not sure which way I'm gonna go at this point, H4PC maybe a little more than I need especially the cost, but it looks really cool........would like to stay with Mac software...but as far as I can see there's more choices for a PC....thanks again...
  • Here's few more answers/specifics...
    Yes, Hog PC can be connected to MTC, LTC or SMPTE. I suggests using a MOTU Micro Express USB. I've had success using it.
    The syncing is usually done by recording cues in Hog PC (chases, movement, etc), then you would do one of two things:
    1- Enter the timecode markers (ie 1min32secs) into HogPC in the cuelists you made to corespond with when you want them triggered
    OR
    2- Pump the timecode into you HogPC (you will see the counter running) and trigger the cues when you want them to mark the timecode. This is called "Learn Timing". Example: play you music and/or video, then (with Learn Timing enabled) you would play the cues at the appropriate times and Hog PC sucks those values in. You can then easily adjust the timecode by simply changing the numbers in the HH:MM::SS window in the cuelist. Or simply delete the timecode value and redo the learn timing process to try again.

The Hog FX generator WILL help you program chases and movement etc. But you will also need some basic knowledge of Hog programming to store and edit things...plus, a little knowledge will just make your show look that much better. :-)

Those are pretty vague and basic descriptions of how to go about it...as with everything, I suggest reading up on the subject in the Hog Manual.

PLEASE NOTE: I get the feeling this has slipped throught the cracks in the answers after you original post...
    In order to output DMX from Hog PC, you MUST have a Hog USB->DMX widget. Something like an ENNTEC USB->DMX device will not work.

All in all, I would suggest reading the manual and playing around on the software (free download) to see if you like the feel of the interface. It's actually pretty easy learn and intuitive if you have even the slightest programming experience.

Best of luck!
  • Also,
    You will not find very many lighting control software options for Mac. There are a few, but all the best ones are really PC based. I am a Mac guy all they way...until it comes to PC lighting control. Haha.
  • Hi, you can also use midi note... i use this protocol to my band and i love it (check the video below)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcO4JsThpVs

good luck!:hogsign::headbang:

[QUOTE=ttocS;71661]Hello -

Complete newbie here....I'm looking for dmx software that can be controlled from a DAW(Reaper or Live) via a midi track, that has a timeline or can be synced to backing tracks easily, has an FX generator and a visualizer. I've watched some of the training videos on Hog 4pc, which looks really cool, but REALLY deep...lol...can Hog 4pc do all of this?.....and would I just need the USB DMX Widget to do this? I really only need one universe....

Is Hog very cpu intensive?

Also can Hog 4pc be ran from parallels on a mac?

THANKS for any help....