V2 disappointing....

Hi,
I'm extremely disappointed about this V2

Art-net merge: Your system is more an input selector (we chose art-net or hognet control) but not a real merger who should mix different types of signals with htp/ltp priorities.

A true Art-net merge would control a LED matrix system (for example) with a console + media server at the same time ....

New effect generator :
1st,"begin" and "end" value are only real values ​​, why not be able to use presets ?
Anyway it would be much simpler to choose a "begin preset" and a "end preset" rather than seeking real value .....

2nd, it's impossible to apply a color (with color weel) or gobo in "begin" or "end" cell.....

With this release, how can we say that this console is better than its concurrent?

I sincerely hope that this will change as I confess that I do not feel the console more powerfull in V2 that V1.
For the moment, the soft hog 4 brings no "real" major changes compared to Fullboar3 v3.2.6 (except the command keys and hardware performance ... )
  • Hi Digne,

I am very sorry that you are so disappointed. We have worked very hard to release software with feature set surrounding more than the two items you have highlighted above .

The main goal of this release was to target Media Integration, which is in itself a pretty major piece of development, however we have been able to add a number of other features such as timing palettes which have been requested for rather a long time now.

In direct relation to the issues highlighted above, as mentioned in another post, it is indeed a merge in as much as the user can select elements of a fixture to control through ArtNet while the remainder of the parameters of the fixture are controlled by the console.

With regards the FX engine, this is not a new FX engine but a substantial improvement, both explicit and implicit in the existing engine not only limited to the beginning and end functions.

I think it is important to understand that this release is not the final release for the product and we certainly acknowledge that there is more to be done (needless to say) and elements such as the ability to set beginning and end parameters from directory items is high on the list and in the pipeline.

However, I would have to disagree (rather strongly) with your assessment that V2 is no better than V1 or even than 3.2.6. On all sorts of levels, the current platform is far in advance of 3.2.6. We recently successfully finished a show with over 1600 moving heads (among a whole host of other fixtures) on a single showfile, being triggered through OSC with over 40 go messages being sent to the console at a single time constantly for hours and hours, without it missing a beat. Needless to say 3.2.6 would not have been capable of this, and neither is much of the competition.

Do feel free to contact me directly on chris_ferrante@highend.com with suggestions and wants. We are passionate about moving the product forward and certainly would be happy to hear, in detail, what other features you would like.

Cheers

Chris
  • In direct relation to the issues highlighted above, as mentioned in another post, it is indeed a merge in as much as the user can select elements of a fixture to control through ArtNet while the remainder of the parameters of the fixture are controlled by the console
    So, it's a switch finally.... it would have been interesting to push this feature further

With regards the FX engine, this is not a new FX engine but a substantial improvement
    Cool, it's nice to read this

However, I would have to disagree (rather strongly) with your assessment that V2 is no better than V1 or even than 3.2.6...
    I misspoke.
    what I mean is that I do not feel real changes in programming.
    For example, the method to make a strob in a "command key" is really heavy.
    For me, hog consoles are very fast to program a show, but the latest features added are too long to implement.

Another exemple, why we can not have the rate wheel via osc for fullboar4 and Roadhog4?
    This wheel is very good but finally I can use this function only with an hog4, not with fullboar4, not with roadhog4... If on tour I have to change a hog4 by a road hog I change the rate wheel by "hold choose buttons...turn encoder"..... it's too long and I have only 2 hands.
    If you put rate wheel on osc, it's the same way to change Fx rate on a cuelist on all consoles.

So yes, the console is powerful and stable to handle many projectors, media server, osc.... but in terms of programming (build an effect, select projectors, record a command palette, playback a show etc ...), the added features does not save much time.

But I want to precise, I love hog. It's for me the best console and I know you work very hard (and thank you for that). But last year when I saw the first hog4, I knew I had to wait for V2 to see the big change. And today, I don't see that.
  • Hi Digne,

Again i am sorry that you do not see the changes and improvements in the system since V1. We will certainly be improving and releasing more and more feature set, and we have again set ourselves very aggressive goals.

Your point about command keys is interesting. We put a lot of thought into how this was to function and to make it as intuitive as possible. However there are always going to be tradeoffs. I would welcome your thoughts on any improvements you feel we could make in this area, although the act of moving a directory item to the command keys is rather fast and is consistent with workflow.

I will look into the osc rate wheel question, however this is a differentiation element and is unlikely to change.

We are certainly happy that you love Hog and will continue to make improvements to the system as we move forward.

Cheers

Chris