Consequences of editing personalities...

I am running a lighting rig with a whole hog IPC lighting board and the whole package was set up for me by somebody else. I discovered that the personality that I have for the Elation Platinum Spotlights in my rig is not providing me with 100% functionality, and I know the personality was custom built by the earlier person.

To be more specific, I'm fairly sure that the color slots for the glass color wheel in the fixtures personality has not been set up correctly, because I can't use split colors between one filter and the next, which I should be able to do. There is a continuous function available on the color parameter encoder, but it only gives the slots. I also can only make the gobos rotate clockwise, and not counterclockwise. Same with the prisms. And also, the real world values of revolutions per minute are fantastically inaccurate. So I think there has been an error made in the ranges on the personality.

I've been reading a bit around the forum here about editing personalities or downloading manufactures personalities, what I'm curious about is what effect this would have on my entire show. I'm not too sure on the procedure for replacing a personality with a new one, and I don't know if this is going to crash the whole show or not. I don't know if the abstraction will happen again if I import a new personality and give the new functions to me as options, or if it will just add these new functions to the lights as all blank cells and require parameters to be set for them, or if this action will react against all of the earlier cues that have been made, causing all of the color settings and gobo speeds to be be wildly off because the ranges are changed. I predict the latter.

Has anybody ever tried anything like this before, and had beneficial results, or was it catastrophic?

Wishfully thinking, I plan to save my show as it currently is, and then attempt to change personalities, but I have never done this before, I don't know the best way of putting a new personality into existing lights, or if this can even be done. Is there a good writeup on this anywhere that I can refer to and do it successfully?
Related