How to get up to speed on Hog 3 PC?

OK, I've read through the manual (more or less) and I've been working with our Hog 3 PC system for some time now. So far I'm still at a loss for how to generate nice motion effects from our 6 moving lights. Is there any kind of tutorial, links, videos, that give details about creating nice motion effects while minimizing the amount of trial and error required? I've tried the "effects" group but am having trouble understanding what parameter does what so I've been unable to get control of the movements using this.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Assuming you have moving heads, not mirrors...

Here's a basic Circle Effect.

Put them at 45deg Tilt and Pan them to a mid point of where you want the Effect. Like over your audience.

Hold the Open Key while pressing the Effect Key
    Or, double kit the Effect Key.

Select Circle from the Pallet.

Press Effect Key once so that the encoders are Effect Parameters.
    Adjust Size accordingly
    Like 20-30 degrees in this example.

Now hold the Fan Key and Adjust the Offset Encoder.

Keep in mind that the Effect generator applies its values to the existing parameter's values. That's why I had you set the Tilt to 45, otherwise a moving head can't do a Circle from the "home" or straight down position.
  • Thanks Chris. The bit about setting an initial position is something I didn't do. I'll be sure to try this.

The specific effect I'd like to be to produce is one where several of the moving lights are involved. Like where one light fades up while sweeping across the stage and as it gets to the end of stage the light fades out and another mover fades up in intensity and sweeps the same or similar pattern while the first fixture repositions itself for the next visible sweep. And of course I'd like to do this with more then 2 fixtures as well...
  • Ahh, yes. That Effect.

With the fixture in the direction you want the effect and the Intensity off (or at 50%)...

Set Tilt to Sine Wave.
    Set Intensity to Step

Adjust Size to get desired coverage.
    Both at the same Rate

Intensity with an Offset of -90 degrees, and it's length a little under 100%
    Or the Tilt is +90 degrees.

This gets you in the general area of what you want, after that you can tweak to get it just right.
Related