Axon with Hog 4

Juay0004Juay0004 Registered User
edited August 2013 in Axon
Hi guys,
Before the Hog4 series came out, I was using the RHFB3 with Axon using artnet and it was working flawlessly.
Recently, I tried linking a RH4 with Axon using Artnet and it did not work.
After I added a Wireless router to the network it worked.
It seem that only the router was capable of DHCP.
Can someone explain this? was it the case that the old RHFB was able to be DHCP server on fixturenet but not the RH4?
I had enabled the DHCP server on the Hognet tab.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Hi Ming,

Both the RHFB3 and the RH4, should operate similarly in regards to setting up the Art-Net outputs on either console's Fixture-Net Port.

On the Fixture-net port, you are not able to enable a DHCP Server to send out IP Addresses. Fixture-Net can only Obtain an IP Address from a DHCP Server.

Enabling a DHCP Server can only be done with Hog-Net, communicating to other Hogs or DP8Ks. This would it explain why it worked after you introduced the router on to the Fixture-Net as it would hand out IP Addresses to the deceives connected to it.

Hope this helps,
  • Juay0004Juay0004 Registered User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. Most likely I need to go look at the network switch I was using prior to this.
    Maybe it was acting as a DHCP server back then.
    Just to clarify, if there is no DHCP server on the network, is the artnet broadcast suppose to work with the axon?
  • edited August 2013
    It should work with the Axon. The Fixture-Net IP Address just needs to be within the same IP Address range as the the Axon.

Remember that is the Axon does not detect a DHCP Server at boot-up it will auto-assign a fix IP Address, usually a 169.254.xxx.xxx. So you would need to set your Fixture-Net IP Address to work within that.

If you would like to use a DHCP Router, then connect both Fixture-Net and the Axons to the the router and set the Fixture-Net to Obtain an IP Address from DHCP,and the Axons will accept the IP Address from the router at boot-up.

Hope this helps,
    edited August 2013
    Paul,

Thanks for the clarification on this matter. :o
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2013
    Also take care of the subnet.
    Must be a 255.255.0.0
    edited August 2013
    MLorenz wrote: »
    Also take care of the subnet.
    Must be a 255.255.0.0

Do you mean setting on the fixture net sub net mask?
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited August 2013
    Correct, that is what I meant
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Marc!