Default vs Offset

Hey Guys
I'm wondering when you use default and offset and why.

Szenario:

On a tour i start programming with the hung fixtures at pan=90deg.

Next gig for the same fixture i need to adjust the 'home' position 3degrees.

I could use 'default' for pan 93deg or offset 3deg.

Is there any difference?

Thanks
Jay
  • I find it more easy to read the pan value of 93deg and type it directly into the default cell instead of subtracting the 90deg from the 93deg new home value.

???
  • I have never used offset. I have only set my me default values for my selected defaulted position.

Now I'm curious if An offset value will affect preprogrammed values.
  • [QUOTE=Buzz313th;68674]I have never used offset. I have only set my me default values for my selected defaulted position.

Now I'm curious if An offset value will affect preprogrammed values.

Page 122 says yes.

So default values affect preprogrammed values as well?
  • [QUOTE=JayJay;68675]Page 122 says yes.

So default values affect preprogrammed values as well?

Well, I guess there is the difference..

The Default values should be absolute values only. They should only set a default value. Any programming of values ontop of the defaults will result in another absolute value overiding the defaults.

When I get done with the HoneyDoo list, I'll have a go at playing with offsets. I will guess that the offset will add or subtract parameter values from both the default value and any other programmed values.. Example, Default for fixture 1 is +90tilt and Cue 1 sets that tilt value at +100 tilt. Without an offset, you will get +90tilt when all fixtures are released and nothing in the programmer. Then by running Cue 1 you should get an absolute value of +100tilt. Now add a +5tilt offset and release the fixture and I am guessing you will get an output tilt value of +95. Then run cue 1 and again I am guessing you will get an output tilt value of +105.

If this is the case, then the offset value will adjust all the values (default and programmed) in a show file globally.

So, in your example in your original post... Set default values for your first rig. Then in the subsequent shows on the same rig, if you find the Truss trim or position is slightly off and focus positions don't match, but a simple +3 degrees of pan will get everything closer, then set your offset to pan +3 degrees.

The above is just my assumption, as I haven't messed with offset yet.

JB
  • Jeff, you assume correctly.

Classic example of use of offset is when your crew hang all your fixtures 90 degrees out from how you specified on your paperwork!! Just subtract or add 90 degrees offset and all your preprogramming will be correct. Fortunately with fixtures panning 500 degrees or more it's rarely an issue applying such an offset and you shouldn't run into your end stops!

This happened to me just recently when all my FOH fixtures got hung incorrectly. It's a very useful feature when there's no time to rehang everything.