Global Desk "Beat Tap Rate"

Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
The current Beat Tap functionality on the H4 is a great feature, but how about taking it a few steps further? Currently we can only use Beat Tap on a chase and unfortunately, cannot apply that defined rate to the FX engine or Cue FX rate..

I was thinking of how useful a "Global Beat Tap" rate would be... Lemme explain my complete idea.

Somewhere on the desk give the user the ability to tap out a beat. This rate is then stored in the console as a "Global Beat Tap Rate" that can be linearly adjusted via an encoder, master rate wheel or re tapping out another rate. Then in each of the options settings in the Masters, Cues Or Scenes, give us a drop down to be able to select either, "Local Rate" (The rate defined only within that cue, master, or scene) or "Global Rate" (The global rate defined by the global beat tap or encoder wheels). Then also give us the ability after defining a rate source, to define a multiple of that rate, (like, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x or even 0.5x, 0.25x etc) and also give us the option to offset that rate to apply it to a downbeat or upbeat. In addition and probably the most important feature of this request, is the ability to take the "Global Rate" and apply it to the FX within a cue, master or scene, not just a chase.

This feature set will give the programmer the ability to very quickly sync up a tempo and then quickly apply it anywhere in the desk at any multiple and any offset.

Please consider as this would be an amazing feature...

JB

Comments

• Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited August 2013
    LOL, I thought it was a epic idea ;) Guess I'm the only one :(

Sure would be a cool feature for performance programming.

JB
    edited August 2013
    Hey HES and all ya other folks...

Whatcha all think of the above request?

JB
  • JSNDesignJSNDesign Registered User
    edited August 2013
    I Agree !

For those of us that work mostly in clubs or special events, this feature would make on the fly Beat Changes a lot more intuitive !

I know it's a lot to ask but the ability of an Audio Input Trigger and / or an Assignable 4 / 8 Channel Color Organ would be great !
  • HUGOLiTEHUGOLiTE Registered User
    edited August 2013
    Love it!! This type of feature MUST come. A lot of gigs are busking type of gigs and this is something that would make life easy.

:hogsign:
  • Tnsquint1Tnsquint1 Registered User
    edited December 2013
    Would the global rate be the equivalent of a "palette" in that whenever the global tap time was updated it would update all cues using this feature which would be great for busking or would the global rate record hard values which would be great for individual song programming? Either way I like it.
    edited December 2013
    Tnsquint1 wrote: »
    Would the global rate be the equivalent of a "palette" in that whenever the global tap time was updated it would update all cues using this feature which would be great for busking or would the global rate record hard values which would be great for individual song programming? Either way I like it.

I'm not sure to be honest as HES has not replied at all to this post...

The way I thought about it when I made the OP was....

It would be nice to have a tempo rate that could be tapped out, just like the cuelist chase beat tap rate, that would be available to apply to an Effect, chase, cue rate etc anywhere on the desk... The most important feature would be the ability to apply this rate to the FX engine and also have the ability to change it's multiplier both up and down, change it's offset and edit it's rate on the fly... The idea is, that during performance programming or just live busking, you could tap out the tempo once for a song either live or in blind and then store that tempo on the desk, to be applied anywhere you have a tempo based look (Cues, Chases, Effects). The ability to be able to select a multiplier would be great too, just incase you want your hits to happen every other beat, or twice a beat, or even slightly offset from the beat so you could put a hit on the down or upbeat, or just adjust for DMX>Device latency.

I think a tempo palette would be awesome, but I don't think HES would code for another directory just for this feature.
    edited December 2013
    I completely get what you are saying. It would work like my first scenario. I don't think it would necessarily be a palette as in having a palette directory, however, it would work just like a palette. No different than updating a palette now.

I use the TIME palettes quite a bit and have been looking for that functionality for about the last 20 years. There is some sort of a work around there that I will have to think about. It would not work nearly as well as what you have described though nor be as universally useful.
    edited December 2013
    There are indeed some things you COULD do using time palettes but it would be limited and you would have to convert known BPM to ms which you could do on a phone app, but not something at all ideal for busking.

Maybe someone will see your idea and run with it. I like it.
    edited December 2013
    The feature we are talkin about doesn't exist on any other control desk, so it would be a good move in my opinion. Personally, I don't think HES wants anyone to see their hand or tip off what their future plans are. So no comment or reply from HES isn't bad news for the future..

;)

JB
    edited December 2013
    It is a brilliant idea for sure.
  • lightboylightboy Registered User
    edited January 2014
    Buzz313th wrote: »
    The feature we are talkin about doesn't exist on any other control desk, so it would be a good move in my opinion. Personally, I don't think HES wants anyone to see their hand or tip off what their future plans are. So no comment or reply from HES isn't bad news for the future..

;)

JB

This feature doesn't exist on any other lighting console? Sure about that…?
    edited January 2014
    lightboy wrote: »
    This feature doesn't exist on any other lighting console? Sure about that…?

Enlighten me... I would love to know which desk offer this complete feature.

JB
    edited January 2014
    Ok, I stand corrected... I didn't know the speed masters could apply a factor to a bpm rate and allow that particular factor to be used anywhere...

Thanks.. If you hadn't of mentioned it, I woulda never looked.

JB
  • lightboylightboy Registered User
    edited January 2014
    No worries… :)
  • SharpsynthSharpsynth Registered User
    edited January 2014
    As someone whose using his RH4 for a LOT of busking and major festival work this idea would be AMAZING!!
  • Strobie1Strobie1 Registered User
    edited February 2014
    I love this idea
  • ZachithZachith Registered User
    edited March 2014
    Fully concur Doctor. I've actually tried doing that just playing around to see if you could do it with the master play button. The tap could be as simple as Pig+Master Play button for global. An amazing feature for live busking shows. I particularly appreciate the thought of the dropdown option to do 1x,2x,4x.....ESPECIALLY the .25x, .5x
    Thank you for the very intelligent thought!
  • designlxdesignlx Registered User
    edited March 2014
    Yep. I agree with this 2000%

GrandMA has this feature which makes it amazing. You could go one step further

There is a number of speed groups that you can assign to effects or chasers then assign the speed group to faders to control the rate, or assign it to a button to tap sync it.

That way you could have movement on every 2nd beat and intensity or colour effects on each beat.

Its a great feature and would definitely improve the hog range.
  • hydrushydrus Registered User
    edited April 2014
    So update V2.2.0 has some added functionality regarding the FX tempo issues.

The global tap or even the possibility to set your own tap tempo key for a master isn't possible yet.
    What about setting the bpm of an effect on a playback via OSC?

I could easily hack something together with an arduino to make my own tap tempo box using OSC to send the BPM (even using a foot switch if I want)

All it would need is the desk to tell me via OSC what playback is selected and the possibility to send effect BPM and playback rate to a playback.

EDIT:
    I could know what playback is selected already via the led status which is already on OSC
  • Strobie1Strobie1 Registered User
    edited April 2014
    That's unnecessarily complicated I think. A global beat tap will be the way to go
  • hydrushydrus Registered User
    edited April 2014
    It is indeed more complicated then needs to be. But maybe more easy to implement.

I would love a footswitch by the way which won't happen on any HOG (but you can do on the entry level command wing from MA )
    Question to the Dev team...

Is there any news on implementing a global effects rate to the console that can be tapped out and then applied to any associated fx or cuelist rate?

• JdaulisaJdaulisa Registered User
    Global beat tap is a great idea.
  • phayesphayes Registered User, Hog Beta
    how about beat tap on a speed batch?
  • Noah_AllenNoah_Allen Registered User, HES Staff
    ^^^ the above is probably the best choice for global BPM