Goto Hidden List/Cue (Off Playback Bar)

Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
edited July 2013 in Hog 4 Tips and Tricks
Need some help here..

I am trying to run a cue from a cuelist, without the cuelist existing on any playback bars (only in the list directory) and I want to do this with command line only.

The following syntax will do this if the list resides on a playback master..
"Goto-3/1-enter" But I don't want to put the list on a master.

I have tried the following syntax with no luck...

"Goto-List-3/1-enter" This does not work as I get a red syntax line as soon as I hit "List".

"Goto-Cue-3/1-enter"... This doesn't work either..

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

JB

Comments

• barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2013
    I don't think this is possible.
    Isn't running the cuelist from the List directory less keystrokes than typing all that in the command line anyway?
    What about loading the cuelist onto a Command Key?
  • Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited July 2013
    barnes2000 wrote: »
    I don't think this is possible.
    Isn't running the cuelist from the List directory less keystrokes than typing all that in the command line anyway?
    What about loading the cuelist onto a Command Key?

I want to have a macro trigger a selection into the programmer AND run a specific cue at the same time, but I don't want to waste a master to do it.

The logical syntax "GL3/2" (Go List 3 cue 2) is a working command macro, so why don't we have the functionality to do the same thing from the raw command line?
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2013
    I also don't understand why Goto List 3/1 isn't valid syntax. It seems pretty logical that this should work.

V1.2.0 perhaps?
  • lbohnlbohn Registered User
    edited July 2013
    Jeff,

Here's a possible workaround ...

1) Record the keystroke macro minus the Goto bits, Macro 1.
    2) Record an empty cue into a new list, List 101.
    3) Set the Macro in List 101 Cue 1 to fire both your keystroke macro (GK1) and your specified cue (GL3/2).
    4) To recall the actions, type LIST 101 ENTER or touch the list in the unguarded list directory.

Obviously it's a few extra steps, but it should get what you are after.

--L.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Louis,

That's a possible solution.

I wonder if the similar syntax, "goto-scene-3" gets a red syntax error as well.
    edited July 2013
    Jeff,

Scenes can only store one cue so that syntax wouldn't work. You could substitute a Scene for the List in my workaround, however.

--L.
    edited July 2013
    I knew that!!! Typo on my part. ;).

No, I'm curious if the goto command will fire a scene, or will it spit out an error just like the syntax "Goto List 1/3"?
    edited July 2013
    Jeff,

Ah, I see ... you wouldn't need the GOTO then. SCENE 3 ENTER will fire scene 3 on a virtual master.

--L.
    edited July 2013
    Louis,

Thanks for the ideas. The ability to fire a scene from the command line did the trick. Instead of one list with 8 cues, I had to make 8 scenes, then I could write the 8 macros, where each one will select certain fixtures and trigger its associated scene.

I still don't understand why we can't fire a cue in the list directory from the command line.

Any chance we can get this ability in the future?
    edited July 2013
    Jeff,

Happy to help and glad you found a solution that works for you.

I agree adding syntax along the lines of "GOTO LIST 3/2" or "GOTO LIST 3 CUE 2" would be a useful feature.

--L.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited July 2013
    GOTO has always applied only to the "Chosen" Master.

So since "List xxxx Enter" syntax already works, it should probably be "List xxxx/xxx Enter" or "List xxxx Cue xxxx Enter" omitting the Goto.....makes it faster as well.
  • bellonsbellons Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2013
    Firewood1 wrote: »
    I also don't understand why Goto List 3/1 isn't valid syntax. It seems pretty logical that this should work.

V1.2.0 perhaps?
    This syntax cannot work and will never do simply because is incoherent and inconsistent to the hog4 syntax altogether.
    If you think about it you're starting your syntax by typing a COMMAND.
    We all know the Hog syntax is based on the Object command masking destination philosophy rather than the Command object masking destination one.
    Cheers
    edited July 2013
    Unless I'm missing something, I don't understand your point at all.

The syntax already exists for going to a cue sitting on a master. So to say it cannot work and will never work? It already does! :-)
    edited July 2013
    Having too many syntax commands to do the same think will confuse me.. ;)

So the Goto command will take you anywhere within the playback masters on a page, even if your in a different master, you can still goto a cue in another master thats on the same page. That works...

I'm in agreement with Marty... Since "Scene 3 enter" will fire scene 3 and "List 3 Enter" will fire the next cue in list 3, it makes perfect sense that if HES adds the functionality to fire a specific cue outa the list directory, it should be, "List 3/3 enter".

JB
  • bellonsbellons Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2013
    Colin
    since the goto command specifically refers only to the chosen master and since you stated that it seemed pretty logical that the goto list X/Y would work I was reminding that it cannot be implemented this way for you're starting the whole syntax with a command rather than an object. Hope I've been clearer now
    Cheers
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I see what you mean now. :-)

I guess what I said is logical as it rolls off the tongue, but when you actually think about what the Goto means, then you're right.

List #/# Enter seems great to me.