Studio Spot 250 bulb won't stay struck

AShae9178AShae9178 Registered User
edited September 2013 in Misc. Discussion
Studio Spot 250 bulb strikes at startup, but will die after about 2 minutes with the error message "Light out error". Is this the igniter or something else?

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited July 2013
    How old is the lamp?

Try resetting your fixture and lamp hours. I have seen in the past that if a fixture has too many hours on it, it will shut the lamp off.
  • AShae9178AShae9178 Registered User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks, I didn't even think about resetting the lamp hours. That might be it. I'll try it and repost here if it didn't work for any other possibility.
    edited July 2013
    Well, I reset the lamp hours. Had to home it 3 times before the bulb would strike. However, it only stayed on for aprox 10 sec before it shut off again with the "Light Out Error" message.
  • whitleyrichardwhitleyrichard Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2013
    Ive actually had a SS250 do this as well but I re-home it once and its fine all night and wont show the message again... Now that I think about it, that particular fixture hasn't done that in awhile.. Also I had a Studio Color 575 that would do that and it would try to restrike but couldn't get the bulb to stay on.. I replaced MANY parts in that fixture and nothing worked.. Tried a brand NEW bulb still nothing.. This past Saturday I used it, took an OLD bulb from another fixture and it worked great all night... Now someone explain that to me!?! hahahahaha The only problems I have now is a techno that half way through a show gets off from its positions.. Usually tilts to high or low.. Trying to find a buyer for the technos AND our 575s.. or maybe a trade..
    edited July 2013
    whitleyrichard;68127 said:
    Ive actually had a SS250 do this as well but I re-home it once and its fine all night and wont show the message again... Now that I think about it, that particular fixture hasn't done that in awhile.. Also I had a Studio Color 575 that would do that and it would try to restrike but couldn't get the bulb to stay on.. I replaced MANY parts in that fixture and nothing worked.. Tried a brand NEW bulb still nothing.. This past Saturday I used it, took an OLD bulb from another fixture and it worked great all night... Now someone explain that to me!?! hahahahaha The only problems I have now is a techno that half way through a show gets off from its positions.. Usually tilts to high or low.. Trying to find a buyer for the technos AND our 575s.. or maybe a trade..
    Well I don't know if this will work for you, I still have yet to take a look at mine and find out if it will. I messaged a tech at a company that I go through to fix lights about the problem assuming that maybe it was the ignitor. I received this response back.
    Aaron, the ignitor is located in one of the arms, remove the cover and you will see a green box with 3 terminals, B, L, and N. The 2 lamp socket leads got to L and N, N is the neutral and should show continuity all the way back to the neutral lug of the line cord. A common fault here is either the B lead, of the N lead going to the base has broken, the B lead goes to the -0- tap on the ballast, check continuity on that lead while moving the wire around, and check the N lead back to the line cord. If neither wire is broken, and the lamp and socket are in good shape it is more likely to be a PCB fault than the ignitor, as once the lamp is struck the ignitor is out of the circuit, so unless the wires/terminals are burned up its probably the main PCB.
    edited July 2013
    whitleyrichard;68127 said:
    Well I don't know if this will work for you, I still have yet to take a look at mine and find out if it will. I messaged a tech at a company that I go through to fix lights about the problem assuming that maybe it was the ignitor. I received this response back.

Aaron, the ignitor is located in one of the arms, remove the cover and you will see a green box with 3 terminals, B, L, and N. The 2 lamp socket leads got to L and N, N is the neutral and should show continuity all the way back to the neutral lug of the line cord. A common fault here is either the B lead, of the N lead going to the base has broken, the B lead goes to the -0- tap on the ballast, check continuity on that lead while moving the wire around, and check the N lead back to the line cord. If neither wire is broken, and the lamp and socket are in good shape it is more likely to be a PCB fault than the ignitor, as once the lamp is struck the ignitor is out of the circuit, so unless the wires/terminals are burned up its probably the main PCB.
  • michaelabeiytamichaelabeiyta Registered User
    edited September 2013
    Yes resetting it was a good idea.