Strange Effect question

So I had someone approach me to solve how to write an effect (not a chase) to do the following.

I want a 4 part fade, with uneven fixture numbers.

So 24 fixtures, then 6, 6 and 6.

Now if I had to create this myself, I would just make a chase, but that doesn't solve the issue.

I was able to do this by creating "phantom" unpatched fixtures so that I could just do a "buddy 24" and it works. Is there an easier way (or a mathematical way) to make this happen?
  • How I would Do it is,

Create a New Cue List,
    Now go to Effect Engine, Either Use a Factory Default Effect (or make your own Custom if have a lot of time)

Step 1:
    Select Effect Step or Scroll, for Intensity, go to the Programmer and Select your First Group of Fixtures and Adjust the ICPB to the look you want and Record that look in to Cue # of the New List

Step2,3,4: Repeat Step 1

Step 5: Build a Cue to Auto Follow Each cue on a Count of 2sec - 5sec MARK (LED fixtures you may have to play with the Mark Timing)

Step 6: Create a Black out Cue or End Effect
    Step 7: Auto follow back in to Cue 1 to Create a Loop.

Step 8 is to either Macro the Clue List you Just Created into you Main Show Cue List by Entering in the Macro Box GO: CUEList# and to End effect Create another Cue in the Macro BOX Release: Cuelist#

This Should Work, may take a little configuring, but this is how I would do it without a Chase effect.

More info in the Manuel about Macro of Cue-lists and Effects.
  • Seems like it would be simpler to add whatever fade effect your looking for to the 42 channels, then manually Set the Offsets (24@0, 6@90, 6@180, 6@270).

Or did I misunderstand?
  • I see this is old and dated post. but a quick fix would be to create the order when selecting the fixtures.
    Say you want a 4 beat chase. with 3 lights. (301 thru 303).
    Beat 1 : On OFF OFF
    Beat 2: OFF On OFF
    Beat 3: OFF OFF On
    Beat 4 ON ON ON.

So you would type 301+301+301+302+302+302+303+303+303+301+302+303. Then do a Buddy x 3 selection.

When you fan the offset from 0 thu 270. You should get the chase you desire.

*will have to try this *