Hog4PC + ArtNet

lbohnlbohn Registered User
edited December 2013 in Hog 4 Networking Help
Problem: Hog4PC does not resume ArtNet broadcast after an interruption of the FixtureNet connection. The interruption can be a power cycle of all ArtNet node(s) or simply a disconnect of the main Cat5e/6 cable from Hog4PC.

Hog4PC v1.1.3 and v1.2.0 is running on a Windows 8 x64 touchscreen AIO computer. Bloatware has been removed and networking (firewall, virus scanners, etc) has been tuned for standalone, permanent installation as a show controller.

I have reproduced this with several ArtNet nodes including 1) a Pathway Pathport OCTO, 2) 9 Pathway Pathport C-Series nodes and 3) with a Coolux Pandoras Box Server.

In this first case, either a power cycle of the OCTO or a disconnect of the Ethernet cable coming from the Hog4PC stops ArtNet. ArtNet does NOT resume after the OCTO restarts or reconnection of the Ethernet cable.

In the second case, disconnecting the Ethernet cable from Hog4PC stops ArtNet and upon reconnection ArtNet broadcasting does NOT resume.

In the third case, after a reboot of the Pandoras Box server, Hog4PC does NOT resume ArtNet broadcasting.

In the above cases, ALL nodes are being taken offline at once. However in case #2, just taking one or several nodes offline, the disconnected nodes WILL receive ArtNet after reconnection.

I can workaround the issue by either 1) logging off & logging back on to the Hog4 show AFTER the reboot/reconnect event or 2) turning off, applying, then turning on & applying the individual ArtNet universes in Network > DMX Processor > Settings > Art-Net.

As best as I see the problem, Hog4PC assumes, upon losing communication with ALL connected nodes (whether one or many), a fatal event has occurred and ceases ArtNet broadcasting in perpetuity. The only method Hog4PC will rediscover the nodes are back online is through logging off/on or disabling/reenabling the ArtNet universes.

--L.

Comments

• MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2013
    What does the link state of Fixture-Net show then? (Setup-Controlpanel)
    Are any packets transmitted or received?
  • skierskier Registered User
    edited June 2013
    I have experienced the exact same issue, Roadhog4 reconnects after Artnet disconnection but Hogpc4 doesn't!
  • lbohnlbohn Registered User
    edited June 2013
    After an hour or so of uptime...

Disconnect Ethernet cable

Link State: Disconnected

ArtNet stops and all fixtures show DMX loss.

Reconnect Ethernet cable

Link State: Up

ArtNet broadcast has not resumed; all fixtures show DMX loss.

Disable/Enable ArtNet Universes

Link State: Up

ArtNet broadcast has resumed and all fixtures show DMX signal.

--L.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2013
    Check the power saving settings on the ethernet port for your PC.
    Many tablets/laptops will shut down the port if not in use to save power.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited June 2013
    Is this also happening on the Roadhog or only the HOGPC?
  • lbohnlbohn Registered User
    edited June 2013
    Check the power saving settings on the ethernet port for your PC.
    That setting is disabled. (AIO is not allowed to power off port for "energy savings".)
    MLorenz wrote: »
    Is this also happening on the Roadhog or only the HOGPC?
    There is no RoadHog in my install. H4PC only. skier appears to have the same issue. For him, it happens on H4PC but not on the RoadHog.

--L.
    edited June 2013
    Ah sorry, I mixed up you two guys.
    But seems like the same problem and a bit of windows-related
  • LightingBoyLightingBoy Registered User
    edited August 2013
    Hi!
    Any ideas or experience on how to connect a Dp2000 was Hog4 Art-Net mode, the PC software?
    As I read descriptions included in DP8000, but I can be if I anélküli solution.
    Thanks in advance.
    LB
    PS:
    My English is minimal so I use google translator. I'm sorry for any inaccuracies.
    edited August 2013
    * Set the DP2000 to Art-Net Mode (black display), needs 3.1.9 Software on the DP
    * Have some DMX Widgets connected to the HOGPC System, each Widget-Output can be mirrored to Art-Net
    * Setup the Art-Net Outputs of the virtual DP8000 in the HOG-PC like said in the manual.

But the only advantage for me in this setup will be to have only one Ethernetcable running from FoH to the stage instead of 4-8 DMX Lines...
    The DP2000 itself doesnt increase the number of available DMX Lines. It can onla work as an Art-Net to DMX converter
    edited August 2013
    I set the Dp2000 was Art-Net mode using its own IP address: 192.168.72.99 from what I use to HOG3PC TVs. The HOG4Pc Art-net setup is typed to 192.168.72.99 but it does not work.
    Other programs with the same settings perfectly controls the DP2000 was but I should HOG4Pc to work with.
    Can I get detailed help on setting up another IP Address?
    Thanks in advance.
    LB
    edit?usp=sharing
    edited August 2013
    IPs are fine...
    Have you set up the Art-Net-Port incl IP correct (Control Panel)?

When only sending 8 universes you could use broadcast.
    edited August 2013
    Ok...
    I try to give you a step by step instruction:

* DP8000 Settings: Fixture Net, check that your IP adress and Sub-Net are in the same range like the DP2000
    * Art-Net Tab: If you like to unicast to that specific IP, select your universes, and settings.
    With only 8 Universes transmitted you can broadcast and also deselect changes only.
    The DP8000 anyway can only convert 4 universes. So sending 8 universes makes no sense.

What I recommend to do:

*Use a seperated network-port for HOG-Net and Art-Net (I think you are using the port here)
    * Restart the HOG-PC app after changing IP-Settings, etc... Or at least restart the DP8k process. (pig+open+backspace)
    edited August 2013
    Here are the pictures taken on the setting.
    is set up and did not go.
    If you check the box to broadcast it will be cleared from the IP address 255.255.255.255.

edit?usp=sharing
    edited August 2013
    Yes that is correct....
    Set it to broadcast....
    And what are the settings of your fixture-link port?
    To which physical ethernet port is it linked?
    Do you have 2 ethernet-ports in your system?
    Do you have any DMX-Widgets connected, because without any widgets connected HOG-PC will not output any Art-Net

Can you take a screenshot of your control-panel and the fixture-link tab of the DP8K
    edited August 2013
    My fixture-net link setting is:

edit?usp=sharing
    edited August 2013
    But are you on the same physical port like your hog-net, I mean is the Hognet configured to same port like your artnet port? Do you have 2 ethernet-ports?
    edited August 2013
    Have a look at these pics...
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uzm28zto3q1rhha/jutiLt1pWW

These is my setup...
    I only use the artnet outputs to control a Catalystsystem.

My Computer has 2 Network adapaters (1 wifi, 1 ethernet)
    I configured the wifi for hognet and ethernet for artnet.
    If you only have one adapter in your system you can install the windows loopback adapter and use this for the hognet
    edited August 2013
    One network card in your PC and is configured to 192.168.72.2
    the DP2000 which is connected to the router address 192.168.72.1
    The DP2000 is set to a fixed IP without DHPC from 192.168.72.99
    edited August 2013
    I think this will be the problem...
    And do you have any widgets? Because without any widgets you will not be able to get artnet out of HOG-PC

Have a look at my pictures and compare to your settings... Dont worry about different IP settings....
    As long as both (hog and dp) are in the same range and subnet it will work

I would recommend to only use the fixture-net on your ethernet-port
    For Hog-net you can install a loopback-adapter ( http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/how-to-install-a-loopback-adapter-in-windows-7/ ) and select it for hog net.
    The configure the IP and subnet to your needs.
    edited August 2013
    I do not see it in the DMX Widgets tab to be connected to it no matter what.
    edited August 2013
    Do you have any Widgets connected?
    Without any Widgets you wont be able to Output Artnet
    edited August 2013
    1 DP2000 is connected to all. nothing more
    edited August 2013
    During the DP2000 perfect HOG3Pc go in normal mode, and other art-net programs condescending Art-Net mode only HOG4PC can not be coordinated with current and I do not understand why.
    edited August 2013
    DP2000 was discontinued from Hog3 V3.2
    From this time only DP8k was supported
    Hog 4 PC cant output Artnet direct, you need a DMX widget
    Each DmX universe on a widget will be mapped/mirrored to Artnet
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the information. So I'll continue to HOG3Pc 3.1.9.2946 normally.
    I am sorry, because I had used the HOG4Pc pleased as well.
    edited August 2013
    Yes, DP2000 works till 3.1.9 in normal HOG-Net configuration.
    The support was stoped due to major changes in the software like full tracking backup and so, which the DP2k was not able to handle.
    If you get a DP8k you can connect your DP2k to the Fixture-Net output to convert the Art-Net output into DMX.
    DP8k works with HOG 3 and HOG4
  • Hosking01Hosking01 Registered User
    edited December 2013
    GOOD WAORK KEEP IT