H4pc on a MS Surface Pro?

I did a quick search and couldn't find any discussions regarding running H4 on a Surface Pro, or other true Win8 tablets.

Anyone have any experience with this?

From the specs it seems like it could work fairly well, especially as a remote.
True 1920 by 1080 display, real processor, stylus for interacting with the front panel etc.

Any thoughts? I'm half tempted to buy one to try it out, but the cost of admission is a little high just for experimentation's sake.

Mike
  • You might be interested in my post here: forums.highend.com/showpost.php?p=67095&postcount=2

Personally, I'm not that impressed with the Surface Pros I have laid hands on. The Surface Pro is really thick and heavy (just over 2 pounds). Compared to the Lenovo tablet I posted about, the Surface Pro is nearly double the price.

While the Lenovo does have a smaller resolution compared to the Surface Pro, I haven't found it limiting. I set the FrontPanel to Programmer (turning off the faders) and run H4PC in Nano mode. I find the larger screen size (11.6" vs 10.6") more useful than having a high resolution. IMHO the buttons on the GUI FrontPanel would be too small on a 1920x1080 screen that is only 10.6".

A side note to that -- it would be great if an option to enable "key click" sounds on the GUI existed. This should be OFF by default, naturally. But it would be great to have some audible feedback when interacting with the GUI front panel on a touchscreen such as a tablet.

--L.
  • Well Louis's suggestion got me looking at other options.

After surfing and researching all weekend, I found a great deal on a refurb Lenovo Thinkpad Twist convertible on their outlet store, so I ordered one and will see how it goes. Less than $500 shipped! 15% off thru the 29th on May.

I liked that it has a beefier proc and built in ethernet vs a discreet tablet, but I was also eying the Thinkpad Tablet 2 as well...

Mike