Recommended Laptop for H4PC

Lint EyeLint Eye Registered User
I am looking for some good suggestions on a laptop to use with H4PC. I would prefer a touch screen. I know the software is not demanding, I just need to know if anyone has had issues with touch screen laptops and if you have found one you liked.

Many thanks in advance!!

Comments

• lbohnlbohn Registered User
    edited May 2013
    I'm using this: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP780Z5E-S01UB

It has a 15.6" touchscreen, 1920x1080 MVA display, Intel i7 2.4Ghz quad core CPU, AMD 8770 GPU w/ 1GB VRAM, 8GB RAM and comes with a 1TB HDD. I've since switched out the HDD for a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD that is quite snappy. The battery life is quite good. I get ~8 hours if I don't draft: I have Vectorworks set to use the GPU instead of the Intel HD 4000 IGP. I recently took a coast-to-coast flight and it was quite helpful to have the touchscreen for doing some pre-patching and show file setup before hitting the venue.

I'd also recommend taking a look at this: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideatab/lynx-k3011/

It has an 11.6" touchscreen, 1366x768 IPS display, Intel Atom 1.8Ghz dual core CPU, Intel HD4000 GPU, 2 GB RAM, 64GB eMMC storage and only weighs 1.5 lbs (.04 lbs more than an iPad). Obviously this runs real x86 Windows 8 and not the (for our purposes) useless Windows 8 RT. With a wireless router tied into the HogNet adapter on a Hog4 console, I now have a full fledged RFU. It's currently on sale at Best Buy for $449. I don't have the keyboard dock (I've read not so good things about it - but then I've never intended this to be anything other an RFU and light media browser). I have been using a 10.1" Android tablet RDPing into a laptop for a couple of years and the extra screen real estate is extremely useful.

On the Samsung, all but the Samsung branded software is trial software, so away it went. On the Lenovo, all the pre-loaded software is useless.

--L.
  • mikeyraymikeyray Registered User
    edited May 2013
    on your tablet are you able to ''change path'' on a cuelist without it crashing ?
    mikey
    edited May 2013
    No. But that's a Hog4 bug and not tied to specific hardware. It was first noticed on a tablet but is reproducible on any Hog console.

--L.
  • mikeyraymikeyray Registered User
    edited May 2013
    really it didnt happen with the hog4 or rh4 i used or in hog pc on my laptop
    only on touchscreen pc's or tablets
    oh well as long as its recommended as a bug
    m
    edited May 2013
    Most likely my faulty memory, but I thought someone reproduced the bug on a console after it was initially reported.

Personally I have reproduced this bug on 3 Windows 8 Hog4PC installs - 1 desktop w/ Nano wing, 1 laptop and 1 tablet. All 3 have touchscreens.

--L.
  • SotzremSotzrem Registered User
    edited June 2013
    I am Running my Hog4PC on a Sonu VuZa Gaming Laptop Duel Core 2.6ghz (non-touch) Windows 7, and I have a External 19" Touch Screen plugged in. Works Great even with 4 Universes of Processing.

Windows 8 Seems a little Glitchy to be running Hog4 on, Since windows takes Priority over other programs running, this can cause hog to Crash or Delay DMX Processing.