TouchOSC Problem

Jpowell82Jpowell82 Registered User
First lemme preface this with this statement. I have setup OSC for many devices including Modul8 and Panjolin Lasers or even Ableton, Im not stranger to OSC..

However, what the eff am I doing wrong here? I cant seem to get my FullBoar 4 to connect. (or connect to it, rather). Ive setup OSC in and out ports on 7001 and 7002 on both my console and my ipad, Ive set the host on ipad to match address of console and Ive dedicated a wireless router solely for it. But I cant seem to get it to respond for shit. Ive tested the cable and router on different setups (panjolin and modul8)..

I feel like Im overlooking something retarded and Im reluctant to move forward after the last time I tried to get OSC working and came in the next day to a mysterious bug that caused my console to "think" its a Hog4PC thus requiring me to return it. Clearly it was coincedental but like i said, Im reluctant to keep pressing without some sort of insight. This isnt brain surgery and shouldnt be so confusing, its just OSC..

BTW, Im using the HES template downloaded from site..Ive set my out port on ipad to match my in port on FB4 and vice versa, they console cat5 from hognet port to my simple little netgear router with no password, as earlier stated, my host address on touchosc is the one for the console but I get nothing.. any help would be awesome.. thanks

Comments

• sinclairsinclair Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2013
    Is the iPad able to see the FB4 on the network? (eg. ping)
    Also, I know that others have mistakenly entered the port numbers backwards. The two softwares list the ports in opposite order already.

If those tips don't work, perhaps you could post some screenshots of your setup screens...
  • Jpowell82Jpowell82 Registered User
    edited May 2013
    Im gonna try and reverse the port in and out numbers and ping the console.. good call.. got wrapped up in a show and couldnt keep trouble shooting.. report back..
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I tried to ping console from iPad on the network using Ping App and got no response. Not sure what the hell is up but with no shows today I can spend more time trouble shooting. Here's a quick snap of touchosc and FB4 settings
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2013
    Looks like the Ipad's on a different network than the Console.
    Ipad 192.....
    Console 172...
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    edited May 2013
    Looks like the Ipad's on a different network than the Console.
    Ipad 192.....
    Console 172...

Bingo. You will also want the Protocol set to "UDP", not TCP/SLIP as per the screenshot.
  • ShrunkenNedShrunkenNed Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2013
    Chip, what is the difference between the protocols? When would I not choose UDP?

If I recall, I didn't see any documentation (Manual or google searching) when I first started tinkering around with it
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    edited May 2013
    When would I not choose UDP?

When the device to which you are communicating requests it.
    OSC itself is just a data format protocol -- the actual transport from A to B is left up to users. They are free to use UDP, TCP, carrier pigeon, etc.

You tend to see a lot of OSC applications only support UDP as the transport protocol because from a software perspective it is the easiest to code.:finger:
    edited May 2013
    Soooo..... three words... " Oh yeah, duh.." Thanks guys... got it up..
  • ZachithZachith Registered User
    edited June 2013
    I'm having the same problem. 2 questions; 1) How are they not on the same network if they're on the same router? More importantly 2) How do you remedy this problem?
  • ZachithZachith Registered User
    edited June 2013
    Here's what I got. Looks almost like the pic from above. What is wrong? How can I get the 2 items on the same network? Sounds like they need to have the same prefixes.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2013
    Your PC has no IP adress assigned.

Go to SETUP - Control Panel - HOGnet, select Obtain IP Adress using DHCP

that should help