wholehog 3 to road hog 4

I have a wholehog 3 with DP2k at the moment and I'm considering "upgrading"
to a road hog 4, would you consider this an upgrade though?
seems to me the roadhog 4 would be more powerful and have all the features of the 3 minus a few like Midi in and out,trackball and soft keys and a few minor things like that.
am i missing something important... would love a wholehog/fullboar but can't justify the expense right now, later i would upgrade to fullboar..

cheers :hogsign:
  • Sounds like a Road Hog 4 would be a nice interim board for you. You can get an external trackball for $100 and if you really need the MIDI/LTC you can pick up a USB widget for $1000. Still bringing you in under $10k. Quite a deal, I'd say.

The deal breaker for me and the Road Hog 4 is the fixed angle of the screen. But that's just because I like to sit down at the console :)
  • The things you point out you may lose can for the most part can be added, the track ball I have does all the functions of the inbuilt version and I prefer it as I can put it anywhere I want.

The Road Hog 4 would be an upgrade from a 3, the few minus things you point out are more than wiped out by what you would have, the screen alone is worth the upgrade. Personally I would consider a Road Hog 4 and better desk then any of the H3 range, in function and looks.

The screen angle is okay, currently in my office I am sat low at a desk and I can see and do all I need to to, for me its not a problem. I have an external screen as well and remember you can only have one external screen on a RH 4, again the RH screen makes that much less of an issue.
  • cheers guys, was thinking about the screen angle as this is big issue, a custom road-case that allows you to angle the entire desk up a little might do the trick :) (or a couple of rolls of gaff under the back, or some rubber wedges) as i often do 12 hour busking shows i need to sit for some of that time!
    whats the go with pixel mapping in the future, anyone know?
    i assume a mouse can be used if not a trackball?
    would be amazing to be able to do positions on a tablet as i am often in a warehouse or venue with lots of things in the way, gets really frustrating trying to get the positions right, i know there is options now that work and that's exciting but hopefully soon they will have a remote tablet system with feedback too :) oh and fixture builder, will it work for the end user?
    I like the idea more and more :)
    cheers
    OINK :hogsign:
  • As I said for me the angle is okay, I would sit a little higher at a gig than my work desk, possibly the only issue with the angle is if you are say in a warehouse with overhead work lights then there is a chance of refections.

I hear pixel mapping is coming, yep you can use a mouse to point with. I am using OSC on an iPad, true no feedback, but not caused any problems yet, but I have also use my laptop as a remote via networking the system, but prefer to walk around with a iPad to do focus.

I have made a few fixtures now, the system is complex, so that in turn requires the fixture builder to be complex, I am using it to get out of jail with when I turn up and find something odd to use, it gets the light working, its harder than writing a Hog 2 text file :Eyecrazy:
  • [QUOTE=sinclair;65600]

The deal breaker for me and the Road Hog 4 is the fixed angle of the screen. But that's just because I like to sit down at the console :)

Prop that sucker up:)
  • [QUOTE=datadriver;65615]Prop that sucker up:)

Which I never liked doing with the Hog2. Now the keyboard is at the wrong angle. (But that's just me!)