Road Hog Freeze/Crash Problem

Hey There

We are running

Road Hog (was on v3.2.5, but we updated it to v3.2.6 yesterday (Tuesday)
The update didn't fix the problem.

1 External ELO Screen

The lighting console is being used in a club environment.

Here's the story.

20 minutes before the end of my Friday 5 hour shift the board froze. The screens locked up and I couldn't do anything. None of the buttons worked. I don't recall if the faders worked or not. I was unable to Pig, Open, backspace. I waited till the night ended and then I did a hard shutdown. When I restarted the board (to go back in and lamp off) it didn't turn on the on-board screens. It was using my external (ELO) touchscreen as the main (and only) monitor. I used this screen to lamp off the lights and then called it a night.

When I came back next night, Saturday, the board was completely fine. Both screens turned on when the board started up and it worked great all night. Not a glitch.

The following night Sunday was a bit more of a disaster. I was just using the Hog normally and then it froze. I did a hard restart on the board. It did the weird external-monitor-only thing. So, I quit and restarted the board properly. When it started up all seemed quite normal. Everything was working great and all was once again right in the world. It worked for about 4-5 minutes and then it froze again.
I repeated my routine, but it happened again after that. And again, and again. The lights were on a look that suited the night so I just left it for the rest of the night.

Here were some of the variables with each crash
- one time it froze I was still able to use the faders

- sometimes, after the hard restart the on-board screens would work fine, which didn't require a second restart.

On Tuesday we powered it on to do some trouble shooting and it was fine all day. Later in the evening during the club night it froze. The tech restarted the board and it once again did the external-monitor-only trick. He quit and shutdown. He unplugged the external monitor and powered back on. The board was running fine so he plugged the external monitor back in and it was fine for the rest of the night (2 more hours).

Today (Wednesday):

We currently have the board set up without the external monitor and it seems fine. We have a concert tonight and we will be attempting to run without the external monitor.

If it would be helpful we have the Board Logs. If you give us your e-mail address we could send them to you.

Thanks for your time.

Blueprint Tech Team
  • Hello Blueprint

Please open the logs folder and delete any old dump file and if the desk crashes again please see if a dump file was created.

Was the crash during playback or programming?
    Are you updating a cue, scene or palette when the crash occurs?
  • Hey Michael

Thanks for your quick reply.

By dump files do you mean all the .exe.dmp files in the log folder? (ie. critical-win32-golden.exe.dmp , desktop-win32-golden.exe.dmp , dp8k-win.... , launcher-win....)

Crashes all occurred during playback. None of them seem to be related to updating a cue, scene or palette; these tasks were not being performed before or at the time of the crash.

Thanks!
  • Hello Blueprint

Yes those are the files.
    If the desk crashing when you playback a certain cue or scene?

Please send me the dump files and a showfile.
    MGRAHAM@BARCO.COM

highend.wetransfer.com/
  • Hey Michael

Thanks for all the help so far.

We've been doing some troubleshooting and with the board in our absence from the forum. The Hog had been freezing much less for a while and now it's back at it again. We've been trying a few things that may or may not be directly related to the crashing.

In my experience with the board lately I have started the board with the ELO touchscreen attached; the board works great. About 2/2.5 hours (the timing is not entirely consistent) into my 5 hour night shift it will freeze.

Then I will do a hard restart with the ELO unplugged and disable the screen. This will usually allow the board to work fine for the rest of the night. However, twice I have had the board still freeze after that. One of those more odd occasions I realized that I had the board quite close to the wall behind it, perhaps not allowing for enough air flow and possibly causing it to overheat and freeze (even with the ELO unplugged). I'm lead to believe this because when I pulled the board away from the wall in one of those odd occasions it was fine for the rest of the night.

The worst news of all is that those LOG files have not recreated themselves. Since deleting the files swiftly after your response, and prior to other crashes, the "Logs" folder remains empty.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Related