Remote focus or control of hog PC?

Any apps for android that work good? Running WIN 7
  • Have a look here in the forum for the keywords: OSC and TouchOSC
    There you will find a lot of useful informations
  • The best remote is still a Tablet PC running HogPC as a client console.

I did write a template for OSC that works with an Android app called "Control".
    Here is the thread:

forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=13964

Hope this helps. :)
  • I guess I am either lazy or technically challenged when it comes to having to figure out or self develop a way to remotely control my Hog PC system.
    I find it quite ironic that High End has dodged the MAC OS for Hog PC, but makes an app for Iphone and Ipad to remotely control it. Go figure that one.
    I need an app for my Samsung phone or perhaps some sort of tablet.
    If the OS was already MAC, it would make perfect sense to go out and get an Ipad and then they would just network without any special apps.
    Since I am forced to continue to hold on to PC based OS just because of Hog, I am stuck. My Mac has Win 7 bootcamped. I also have a stand alone Win 7 machine for my Hog PC to send out on big shows.
    I don't speak the Lingo here. OSC? RDU? WTF????
    Just like asking for a decent software to use for fixture builder as the HOG one blows chunks!!!
    I am happy to pay for a good remote focus device for my Hog PC with the software or app to allow me to use it. I know I can take a laptop up on stage and lug it around, but that is way too cumbersome to do. A remote should be just that. A remote that is small, portable and easy to handle and work with while on the stage.
    I go to links that people send me to to read this and that. It might as well be me trying to read Portuguese.
    I like the idea of a lighting company that makes the OS, also make a remote.
    I like the idea of going to a website and paying for a remote and it showing up at my door in a few days and I am done. Or an app. Downloading it and it work and I am done.
    How hard would that be? I guess I am dreaming here.
    If anyone that reads this has a legitimate link to what I am wanting, feel free to post it.
    Thanks
  • [QUOTE=JeffM;65544]
    I find it quite ironic that High End has dodged the MAC OS for Hog PC, but makes an app for Iphone and Ipad to remotely control it. Go figure that one.

In reality, we haven't created an app - we make available a template that can be loaded on an app someone else created (TouchOSC). That's a difference of a few hours for the template vs a few years for full Hog on MAC OS.:rolleyes:
  • Jeff

Please read section 19 in the Hog manual.
    It has a small intro to OSC (Open Sound Control).
    We have created OSC templates that will load on your iPhone/iPad.
    OSC will allow you to control every button, encoder, fader on the H4, FB4 and RH4.

Marty has created an Android OSC template and I'm sure others have created other OSC templates for other platforms.

If you have an iPhone or iPad the app is under $5.00.
    Not sure about the cost for the app on Android but I would guess it would be about the same.

I know we have said this before but we are working on a true Hog4OS RFU.
  • Keep in mind...
    If you are using HogPC (ie: a Nano Hog), the fader and encoder movements will be disabled on OSC.
    (Unless this has recently changed)
  • [QUOTE=michael_graham;65550]
    Not sure about the cost for the app on Android

Both "Control" and "TouchOSC" are free on the Android platform (as are the vast majority of Android apps).
  • I know we have said this before but we are working on a true Hog4OS RFU.
    I don't necessarily worry whether or not a device(hardware) is developed to use for RFU since there are devices already in use by humans like smart phones and tablets that should be able to run a proprietary application that would allow us to run through a focus from the stage or bring up a group of lights, or adjust and save position pallets on moving heads.
    I am so ready to have that. I don't have an Iphone or Ipad.
    I have a Samsung Galaxi 3 phone. I will however go buy an Ipad if that is what it takes. Is that what it takes?
  • [QUOTE=JeffM;65565] run a proprietary application that would allow us to run through a focus from the stage or bring up a group of lights, or adjust and save position pallets on moving heads.
    I am so ready to have that. I don't have an Iphone or Ipad.
    I have a Samsung Galaxi 3 phone. I will however go buy an Ipad if that is what it takes. Is that what it takes?

No - the OSC template we provide only allows an interface to manipuilate physical movable controls such as keys and encoder wheels. You don't get any feedback other than LED and fader synchronization.

Do not buy an iPad for TouchOSC thinking you have a remote focus unit with pallete/directory feedback as if you had Hog4PC installed on a tablet and were walking around on stage with it joined to your show over a wireless network.;)
  • [QUOTE=datadriver;65566]No - the OSC template we provide only allows an interface to manipuilate physical movable controls such as keys and encoder wheels. You don't get any feedback other than LED and fader synchronization.

Do not buy an iPad for TouchOSC thinking you have a remote focus unit with pallete/directory feedback as if you had Hog4PC installed on a tablet and were walking around on stage with it joined to your show over a wireless network.;)
    Well, your statements are contradicting themselves.
    You say that the OSC template you provide allows you to manipulate the keys and encoder wheels. So by example I take that to mean I can say hit the keys 21 and then hit @ full and the light comes on that is 21. I can then hit the record key and hit the group key and type whatever group number with the keys and hit the enter key and I just created a group in the group pallet.
    Same goes for making position,color, and any other programming function.
    So how is that not possible to use as a remote focus unit if I can type the channel number key and hit highlight then next, next, next and so on?
    I either am misunderstanding or I am understanding quite well and you did just contradict yourself.