Very very old request

This is an old request on mine and I think it's quite time to dust it off since it has been ignored constantly.
I'd be very happy if we could get a feedback on the playback bar of what function our faders button have been assigned to.
Cheers
  • Nice idea.....

but this would make the playbackbar very crowded....

Flash, Play, Pause and Back Buttons.... WOW.... More chaos than information I think?!
  • feedback and information is the way to go. I'm sure you're very smart and you're able to remember by heart what your buttons are doing in every and each fader. Unfortunately I'm quite thick and slow and I need to be reminded what my choices were in the first place. If you think information is chaos why should we have the programmer? Pan, Tilt, Hue, Saturation, keystone, Zoom, CTB, CTO, gobo1, gobo rotation......... Should I go forward?
    Too many information in the programmer, let's get rid of it. Definitely chaotic.
    If implemented properly this feature is going to be more an advantage than a disadvantage. Actually I've seen other desks which give you information about what your buttons are doing and I find it very useful.
    I'm sure someone from HES will eventually pop in and give his contribution to the thread.
    Cheers
  • I think this could be useful in certain applications, and would support it so long as it was an option that could be switched off for those who feel like Marc about information overload. It might be nice to have the ability to only show it on certain playbacks, so rather than see it everywhere (cluttered possibly), perhaps you could just add it to your playbacks that are not your standard settings so they stand out.

If you're changing between multiple pages with different playback settings this could be very nice. A narrow column down the left hand side of each assigned playback display might be a good way to go.

I think I would be inclined to use it like this.
  • I agree with Marc that it would further clutter up the playback area.....I've seen it on other desks too, and I hate looking at it all the time. Very inelegant and klunky IMHO.

I do agree that it might be useful to have on occasion though, so being able to turn the information on and off would be key as Colin suggested.

But rather than a "global" on or off setting for the information, I think a key combination to temporarily show this would be the way to go. Perhaps PIG+OPEN+CHOOSE for an individual master and PIG+OPEN+MAIN CHOOSE to see it on all Masters.
  • [QUOTE=bellons;65152]feedback and information is the way to go. I'm sure you're very smart and you're able to remember by heart what your buttons are doing in every and each fader. Unfortunately I'm quite thick and slow and I need to be reminded what my choices were in the first place. If you think information is chaos why should we have the programmer? Pan, Tilt, Hue, Saturation, keystone, Zoom, CTB, CTO, gobo1, gobo rotation......... Should I go forward?
    Too many information in the programmer, let's get rid of it. Definitely chaotic.
    If implemented properly this feature is going to be more an advantage than a disadvantage. Actually I've seen other desks which give you information about what your buttons are doing and I find it very useful.
    I'm sure someone from HES will eventually pop in and give his contribution to the thread.
    Cheers

Sorry that I made you angry with my posting... That was not my intention.
    Programmer is a whole window... Playbackbar or even the part for one cuelist is so small compared to that size.
    One thing I love about the HOG that you find everything in a fast way. Thats why in most cases a leave the button functions as they are....
    Making every button user configurable means that you have to give information to the user (like other consoles do), but does this make live easier, faster or even clearer?

How fast is a user or the eye of a user to detect 4 or more little icons in a playback bar?!
    Let say you have 4 icons for the 4 buttons, plus up to 3 or 4 icons for other states of the cuelist... all of them very small... plus the names of the cues above, and now selected and choosen master....
    For me some kind of information overload in this small area. And especially in stressy situations where you would need those labels when you cant remember your settings not easy to figure out what is what icon....
  • Marc
    I'm not angry at all.
    Different people tend to have different opinions.
    I do agree the playback bar might get too clumsy with loads of different icons.
    But I wouldn't mind having a way to figure out what my buttons are doing.
    Marty suggested a syntax that may do the job. Pushing this concept even further I would suggest having a small window popping out on top of the master choose soft button when the choose button is held down. Since we already have loads of information when we hold down the choose button on the right hand touch screen, I reckon it would be coherent with the overall information process.
    Cheers
  • I agree with that what Marty said.
    This is what drives me nuts as well when I look at other consoles.
    But a pop-up window with keyboard shortcut would be a nice solution
  • [QUOTE=bellons;65174]Pushing this concept even further I would suggest having a small window popping out on top of the master choose soft button when the choose button is held down. Since we already have loads of information when we hold down the choose button on the right hand touch screen, I reckon it would be coherent with the overall information process.

+1 to this as well.
    I typically hate popups, and I know that the dev. team has worked hard to keep them out......but this is one case I think it is warranted.