Studio Color 575 slow to start

We have one Studio Color that takes about 30 min before it starts to home the fixture and start the lamp. After that, it works fine. the light looks a little dim but the fixture works fine. What could be the problem?
  • On other HES fixtures with similar processor circuitry, I have had parts in the CPU clock drift out of tolerance and not run cold or at all. The good news is that the parts are about 30 cents if you are up for the work. (This assumes the power supply is putting out proper power to the logic card.

- Tim
  • we do have someone that could replace parts on the boards if we knew what to replace.

What part/board need fixing?
  • What I have found to work was changing C1, C2, R1, and R2 on the logic card. Typically, I think that only the 20M resistor (R2 in this case) has drifted way off tolerance, but while I'm there, I typically do the entire oscillator, and the crystal too (X1) if I have one . . . It's such a pain to get the conformal schmeck off (which I think *causes* the problem over time) that I just do everything . . .

All parts are available from Mouser, and will set you back less than $2 . . .

Again, this assumes that you have valid power coming from the supply. If the display does nothing for a bit, the processor is likely not running, and I have had at least three fixtures that I have been able to get back to 100% stability with this repair (2x trackspot, 1x Cyber . . . but all have the same identical clock circuitry).

If the display *does* init, and looks normal, but no homing, then likely this isn't the issue.

- Tim
Related