[?] b304 Network Incompatible w/b321

Laptop/tablet with b321 can't find H4PC server running b304. After backdating laptop to b304 connection is possible.

I'm sure this isn't a bug, but can someone confirm that b304 and b321 is indeed not network compatible?

I'm asking, since next week I am planning on networking a FB4 with b321 to the PC server running b304.

If its not compatible, then what other option do I have other than backdating the FB4?

JB
  • All consoles on the network (including H4PC) have to be the same build or they won't connect.

So you have to A) Back up the FB4 to b304 or B) update the H4PC to b321.
  • Thanks Jon,

Unfortunately I never ran into this before as I have always had the opportunity to update the desks. The server started the show and it continues for a while. I'm a bit hesitant to update the server to b321, then load a show built on b304.

Any specifics I need to know on backdating a desk to an older version?

JB
  • No worries of doing the update.
    I would recommend that you update to 321!!!

Any specific reason that you run the server on the PC?
    Backdating requires (like updating at the moment) a fullinstall.
  • I want to update to b321, but after my own hunch and taking other peoples advice, I understand that updating to a different revision in the middle of a show is not the best idea. I am not a big fan of possibly having to reprogram the entire show if I don't need to.

The PC I am running this show on is a complete desk. It's got 3 wings, a dedicated tower, two net cards, three 19" touchscreens, blah blah blah... So it's a real good system. It's just a pita to move. So it works well on TV shows where you don't have to move the desk around. Plus, it's the first H4 system I have ran and when I decided to run H4 on the show, I didn't have anything that would upgrade to H4 except my H3PC. The FB4 thats gonna be running as a client, is currently in transit from HES (My first H4 Desk Purchase) and it was confirmed that it's shipping with b321.

So in short... The only option I had to run this show on H4 was my H3PC system with the H4 software.

JB
  • I understand that...
    But there are no real big changes in 321... So you can upgrade without any worries...
    And I would really recommend to do so.

You can run the Fullboar also with server, which might give you also a backup if the server on the PC fails....
  • [QUOTE=MLorenz;64657]I understand that...
    But there are no real big changes in 321... So you can upgrade without any worries...
    And I would really recommend to do so.

You can run the Fullboar also with server, which might give you also a backup if the server on the PC fails....

Ok, will take your advice and when the FB4 arrives, I can test the stability of the b304 built show on the FB4 with b321, then if all seems good, I will update the PC.

The PC is rock solid honestly and it suits the format of the show perfectly, plus, I'm not gonna get any extra rental from the company by putting another desk on the show. The FB4 is gonna come on the show temporarily on a week by week basis to run swing sets where we will be doing music performances, which justifies another desk rental and then the FB4 will be available for other jobs when we aren't shooting on the swing sets.

Thanks Marc, I appreciate your input. It's well taken.

JB