Updating DP8000 to v1.0.1

Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
Hi All,

I have finally got my Hog 4 system back in the office so have been updating it to the latest release v1.0.1.

The full install from USB on the Hog 4 went without a hitch, but once again I ran into trouble getting my DP8000 to update itself on the network. This is something I used to have with the Hog 3 and was hoping the issue would have gone away with the Hog 4.

Even though the DP8000 was visible on the network and could tell that it had the older software (v1.0.0) it would not update. Even when I forced a software update by holding the 3 buttons down on power up it would not do it. I had DHCP and Boot Server selected on the Hog 4.

I had to connect the DP8000 directly to the Hog 4 with a crossover cable and then it worked by doing the force update command...it still would not update by sending the command from the Hog 4.

Does anyone else find this?

Cheers

Colin

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited January 2013
    Colin

This is the first I have heard of someone having trouble upgrading the 8K.
    You said it worked when you went direct.
    Can you please discribe your network setup?
    Is your switch a manged switch?
  • Firewood1Firewood1 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2013
    Hi Michael,

My setup is very simple, just the Hog 4 and the DP8000 going to an unmanaged gigabit switch.

Hog 4 static IP 172.31.0.2
    DP8000 static IP 172.31.0.3

On the Hog 4, DHCP and Boot Server selected.

As said above, even when connected directly it would not update from the Hog 4, I had to force the update from the DP itself.

Very strange i'm sure you'll agree.
    edited January 2013
    Colin

Yes this is strange as I have upgraded 4 8K's today going thru a switch and going direct.
    I am still testing this, once I have better information for you I will get back to you.
    edited January 2013
    ....and do they all have static IPs, as opposed to DHCP assigned?
    edited January 2013
    Please also keep in mind I had this with my Hog 3 too, with the same DP...might it be an issue connected with just my DP perhaps?
    edited January 2013
    Yes I had a mixed bag of Staic IP and IP's from obtaining
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited January 2013
    If it helps, I had 2 DP8000's last summer I could not get to upgrade without using the USB port.
    No matter what I did, they would get stuck in some sort of loop that would never finish (waited overnight)
    I tried DCHP, Static, with a switch, without....
    The only thing that worked was the USB method.
    edited January 2013
    That looping is what was happening with my DP8000 with the Hog 3, although it did update with a direct connection with crossover cable.

I did not have the same with the Hog 4 this time, it just wouldn't start the process at all when connected through an unmanaged switch.
  • spcentralspcentral Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2013
    When I upgraded my DP8K to the current version I had to do a force update on it and I couldn't get it to take it direct from the software.

Static IP's on everything.

No DHCP server running.

Regular gigabit switch.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2013
    Read the manual.... To upgrade DP you need to have DHCP turned on!
  • spcentralspcentral Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2013
    I have never caught that before when reading the manual. Normally I am using Hog PC, so I either am already connected to a router that has a DHCP server running, or I assign everything static IPs.

Is there a reason that the DHCP server has to be enabled?
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2013
    My posting could be missunderstood, if a DP fails to upgrade with fixed IP Settings then turning on DHCP and Boot Server is necessary.