Master control of programmers in network

If this is already available, please do let me know...it's not something I have ever found out how to achieve.

Can it be made possible that you can clear out a programmer on a different console on the network?

Using OSC control recently, I had a few occasions where my production electrician has forgotten to clear the programmer of the Net 2 console, to which his remote was connected. I was programming on the Net 1 console and occasionally needed to clear what he had accidentally left up, which was affecting the look onstage. It would be nice to be able to open the programmer of the net 2 console on the net 1 console and have the ability to view it and also clear it out.

Obviously having separate programmers across the network is a hugely powerful feature but being able to take control of other programmers on the network would take it to the next level.
  • I remember that Comment Macros have the console net number attached when there are multiple consoles on the network. I wonder if Keystroke Macros could do this too? Maybe a Keystroke Macro that has the console number associated with it that simple hits Clear. Not sure if this is possible now.
  • Nice thinking. I wish i'd thought to try that....I expect it would probably work, but hopefully someone from HES will confirm this.

It doesn't solve the request to actually be able to view the programmer from another console net number though, but it would be a start.
  • Just tested this. Keystroke Macros are not dedicated to particular consoles, but this is how I did the work around.
    1) Record a Keystroke Macro that simply hits Clear.
    2) For each console on the network, create a dummy cue that has a Comment Macro for triggering the Keystroke Macro. These Comment Macros are dedicated to the console they were created on.
    3) Label each cuelist as Clear and the console name or number.
  • Excellent, thank you. That's a good work around for now...nice thinking.
  • Hi Scott,

I now have my H4 back and have been trying to set this up across my network.

What I am finding is that the dummy cue that triggers the "clear" macro has to be run from the same console I wish to be cleared, whereas I want to be able to clear either console's programmer from my main H4.

What I have set up is this.
    [Keystroke macro to press clear] - this is working correctly and only clears the console which I press it on. Perfect.

[Dummy cue recorded on Hog4 - virtual cuelist 31 cue 1 with comment macro to fire above keystroke macro] - This was set up on the Hog 4 and when I use the following syntax on the Hog 4, LIST 31 ENTER, the cue runs and so does the clear macro - perfect.

[Dummy cue recorded on Hog4PC - virtual cuelist 32 cue 1 with comment macro to fire above keystroke macro] - This was set up on the Hog 4PC and when I use the following syntax on the Hog 4PC, LIST 32 ENTER, the cue runs and so does the clear macro - also perfect.

So up to this point, it all works, but if I am sat at my Hog 4 and press LIST 32 ENTER, the programmer does not get cleared on the Hog 4PC.

From your previous post it sounded like you had this working so that both programmers could be cleared by just one console, so I wonder what's going wrong my end?

I'm running v1.0.1

Cheers

Colin
  • Hi Colin!
    Hope you're fine!
    I'm not in front of any desk ATM but as far as memory serves you have to specify on which console the Macro is executed.
    Now build your "Clear" macro as you have already done (let's say it's macro1)
    Record a dummy cuelist: Cuelist 1 and set the comment macro field this way:
    GK1h1: standing for Go macro 1 on hog 1
    wash and rinse, record another dummy cuelist: let's say Cuelist 2
    set the comment macro field this way:
    GK1h2 standing for Go macro 1 on hog 2
    Now everything said, like I told you I'm not in front of the desk and I am not quite sure if I'm using the right syntax. What I'm 100% positive is that you have to clearly specify on which hog you want the macro to be executed.
    Hope this helps
  • Hi Marco,

All good with me thanks, I hope you're well too.

I believe the consoles do know which is which. When I view the cue I set up on the Hog 4PC from my Hog 4, it displays as GK121h2, whereas if I view it on the PC itself it displays as GK121. The same applies the other way around, so they do know where they are destined for....it's weird that they're not working across the two consoles.
  • [QUOTE=Firewood1;64668]...it's weird that they're not working across the two consoles.
    yes it is. it should definitely be working
  • Ok, I have found why this was not working. Please tell me if this is normal, as I don't find myself needing to use virtual masters in this way too often.

I found that what I was doing above would work the first time only, and then after that LIST 32 ENTER was not playing the cue unless I did two things.

1. Add a follow on cue 2, with a command macro to release the clear macro (RK121h1)
    2. Set the cue list to "auto release at end" rather than wrap to beginning as default.

I would have expected with "wrap to beginning" selected, typing the syntax again would have played the cue, but it did not.

If however, the cue contains fixture information, then repeating the syntax does repeatedly play the cue, without "release at end" being selected.

Possibly something for HES to have a look into???
  • Sorry for the late response. It looks like you found the solution alright. I had that same issue in my first version too. Yes, the second Go was not triggering the Macro. What I did is my Dummy Cue 1 had the Comment Macro to trigger the Clear Macro, then I also added a Cue 2, but I just added a follow time to Cue 1 so that after the first Go, it would sit in Cue 1 and on the next Go to Cue 2 would just follow back to 1. I didn't think I needed any kind of Release command since there really isn't anything playing. Sounds like you got it working though. I've already shared this trick with a few others who are loving it.