Color Force 72"

A question, we are always having issues with patching color forces on the H3
what should the correct way be? RGBAW ? RGBWA ? and how many channels
should it be.

thanks if any one can help.
  • Depends what mode the color forces are in.
    I usually use the forces in Magic Amber mode which means they only need RGB.
    So I put the Forces in Magic Amber mode (36 channels)
    and patch (12) Generic RGB fixtures in the board.

You can also run the Forces in RGBA (48 channels)
    and patch (12) Generis RGBA fixtures in the board.

I NEVER put the forces in HSI mode. The console already takes the HSI info, translates, and outputs DMX.
  • I have found the same thing, using my Roadhog. They run fine on RGB or RGBA modes, but the effects are lacking... a basic "all cell" color change and a few intensity FX. Am I missing something???
  • If you are in Mode 1 and patched right, you should have 7 FX parameters.
    Page 7 of the manual goes into detail but they are:
    1. Grouping (which you probably have set to 0% if you are only seeing the whole instrument acting as one rather than indivdual cells.
    2. Color Speed
    3. Color Fan
    4. Color Range
    5. Color Step (smoothness)
    6. Intensity FX (paths)
    7. Intensity Fan

There are TONS of combinations if you play with these. however, I usually just use then as straight RGB fixtures and do all the FX with the console.
    These are very powerful, though, when you are limited to a simple console
  • Thanks for the response!

When I run them in Mode 1 (HSI with FX 43ch) I can't even turn them on via the RoadHog. Only way I seem to be able to control them is running them in RGB or RGBA and them patching them as a generic. I can put together some cool effects by manually programming chases, etc... but that is obviously much more time consuming than just running an effect.
  • Do you have 72", 48" or 12" Color Forces?
    If you have 72" in Mode 1, you should have 13 fixtures patched.
    1 is the 'FX Fixture' (Really only the 7 control channels), and 2-13 are the individual 12 LED Cells. 2-13 need to be given an intensity and then you can adjust fixture 1

48": You should have 9 fixtures patched

12": You should have 3 fixtures patched
  • I've got the 72's. I was only patching 12 fixtures, I'll give it a whirl this afternoon as you suggested and report back!
  • I still can't seem to apply any decent effects, I must be overlooking something.

I tried putting the fixture into mode 1 (43 channel HSI) and no matter if I patch 12 or 13 fixtures, it acts randomly, with no sense of control (using a Road Hog console, patching as a generic RGB... maybe that's my problem).

The only way I can get control of these is by patching either as a generic RGB or generic RGBA using modes 3/4 in the fixture itself. I can control each individual cell, using 36 or 48 channels, respectively, but when using the effects in the Roadhog, they are simple all cell intensity ramps or all cell color changes. I can't seem to do any effects using individual cells, i.e. cell chases, gradients from left to right (as seen here, an effect within the "look select internal FX":)

www.aclighting.com/images/newsletter/oct10/Color-Force-72-Front-Colour-Spectrum.jpg

To me, it seems like mode 1 (HSI w/FX) is the only way to have more impressive / individual effects but I must not be patching correctly because it reacts wildly when I try to control it using a generic RGB or RGBA.

I'm sure it's something silly I'm doing wrong, I just can't seem to figure it out!
  • [QUOTE=rpulawski;65439]

patching as a generic RGB... maybe that's my problem).

The only way I can get control of these is by patching either as a generic RGB or generic RGBA using modes 3/4 in the fixture itself. I can control each individual cell, using 36 or 48 channels, respectively, but when using the effects in the Roadhog, they are simple all cell intensity ramps or all cell color changes. I can't seem to do any effects using individual cells, i.e. cell chases, gradients from left to right (as seen here, an effect within the "look select internal FX":)

Using the generic RGB fixtures is right. After you apply effects in the engine, the effect you built will do just as you said; make all the fixtures perform at the same time. You can make it the individual cells unique by 'fanning' the the offset. (FAN in the manual for more specifics)

[QUOTE=rpulawski;65439]
    To me, it seems like mode 1 (HSI w/FX) is the only way to have more impressive / individual effects but I must not be patching correctly because it reacts wildly when I try to control it using a generic RGB or RGBA.

When in FX mode, Fixture 1 isn't a Generic RGB fixture, it's an FX fixture. Think of it as a 'virtual fixture'. You'll patch it and adjust parameters and record into cues. But it's mapped to the entire light bar. On Hog 3, I believe it's under AC Lighting and called "FX" or something to that effect.
    Fixture 1 - FX, patched at your LEDs starting address
    Fixture 2-13 : Generic RGB LEDs, first one patched at 7+Starting address, then add 3 for each consecutive led.
  • Thanks, Scott......... I'll give it a try this morning!

Stoked to see the full capability of my new CF72s!
  • Great let me know
    On HOg 3, I can't remember if the FX fixture is in the main library or the uncommon library. But you may have to look both places.
  • Success!

It was a lot easier than I thought, and of course it was something very simple I was overlooking.

I put the fixtures into 36ch RGB mode, patched 12 fixtures as generic RGB. I did not do a 13th fixture for FX, I will try this next for fun.

I applied my effects within the Hog which did the same boring effects as I was seeing before... only this time I used the fan effect on top of them, using the encoder wheels to alter the speed, size, cells, etc... and voila! Great looking effects!

Just for fun, I'm going to try the 13th (or should I say 1st) fixture as virtual FX fixture. I looked in the main library under AC and there were only 2 options, something like Chroma VS and Chroma LS or something like that. One was 1 channel and the other was 2 channels, so I'm pretty sure they are not it. I'll take a look in the uncommon library. Also, when going about it this way, can I expect more effects than what I am now able to produce using RGB and effects with fan?
Related