[Feature Request] Hold On A Playing Effect

Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
I ran into a programming situation today with a wall of LED's that made me wish there was a way to Hold or Stop an effect mid stream and then be able to pull the raw parameter values that sum up the look onstage into the programmer to possibly be used somewhere else in the show. As it stands now, I can slow the rate of an effect down to zero and "hold" the effect, but I can't grab the raw values that are a result of the effect.

Also, it would be really cool if you could snap an effect to a predetermined rate via a "Rate pallette" etc.

JB

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited December 2012
    Well hopefully these things will be included in the planned overhaul of the effects engine in the next year or so.

Two things you can do right now regarding rate:
    - use "+" to snap the rate to zero (if the effect is currently in the Programmer or an active editor)
    - set Cuelist effect rate to zero in cuelist options (snaps to zero when entered)..as opposed to holding down the Choose key and rolling the rate down.

Hope this helps. :)
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    Jeff,
    In addition to what Marty said, you can also create a Macro that does this.
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    Although, I just noticed the rate wheel does not record into keystroke macros yet.
  • Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited December 2012
    Used keystroke macros and the rate adjustments to hold effects, which is the current workaround, but still a bit clunky. Would be more elegant and straight foreward if the option existed as a soft key or macro function.

The real meat and potatoes to my request is being able to pull the output values of a halted effect into an editor.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    The real halt for fx has been in the wishlist a long time. I think we get this when the whole fx engine gets rewritten. Right now the minimum rate is 0.1 bpm... You can put the Cuelist Effect Rate to zero, but the problem is it will affect all the fx in a cue.
    I also really miss the Hog2 ability to take a real snapshot of the output...
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited December 2012
    srautane wrote: »
    I also really miss the Hog2 ability to take a real snapshot of the output...

I'd really love to use values from output instead of being forced to load the values ​​into the programer before you can use them.
  • Buzz313thBuzz313th Registered User
    edited December 2012
    stephlight wrote: »
    I'd really love to use values from output instead of being forced to load the values ​​into the programer before you can use them.

So your thinking to give the output the option to toggle "Edit" on and off like the view contents window?

If so, that a good idea.
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited December 2012
    Not, I was talking about feature like Copy, You must call fixtures use touch or suck than copy values to fixtures. It would be so faster to use values from output.

No really agree to work in output window, it not a editor, but we could take informations from the window.
    edited December 2012
    Also, If you touch or suck a fixture the result is fx + base value, which is good sometimes, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to capture the value which is the result of fx and base.
  • MLorenzMLorenz Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2012
    srautane wrote: »
    Also, If you touch or suck a fixture the result is fx + base value, which is good sometimes, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to capture the value which is the result of fx and base.

Copy that!!!!
    I will meet some HES Stuff next week, will put that on the request list as well!!!
    edited December 2012
    In Hog 2 days I used the snapshot quite a lot to create random asymmetric looks... I really would like to see that come back...
  • shandy666shandy666 Registered User
    edited December 2012
    Yes please bring back snapshot !!